What time do you call?

patmaxam

What I mean is what time is most effective for you when your hunting. If your hunting in the morning, do you grunt or rattle first light? 9 am after does are down? Last light on an evening hunt? Or as soon as your settled? Sitting up a tree pondering that. Thanks in advance

ryanh487

What I mean is what time is most effective for you when your hunting. If your hunting in the morning, do you grunt or rattle first light? 9 am after does are down? Last light on an evening hunt? Or as soon as your settled? Sitting up a tree pondering that. Thanks in advance

Calling is only going to be effective to draw in deer that are passing through within a couple hundred yards of you anyway, so call when you think the deer are moving. Most bucks move within an hour of first and last light. Many move throughout the day. I usually do a call series every 10-15 minutes during the pre-rut and rut.

BigCats

I pretty much only call if I see a deer if needed and I'll bump the grunt after I get up the tree with my climber but only after I've set down and looked around or in the morning of course I listen for movement.

H4L

Calling is only going to be effective to draw in deer that are passing through within a couple hundred yards of you anyway, so call when you think the deer are moving. Most bucks move within an hour of first and last light. Many move throughout the day. I usually do a call series every 10-15 minutes during the pre-rut and rut.

I do the same. Every 10-15 min mostly. Unless younger bucks are close by I tend to call back and forth with them just to play around some.

ryanh487

I do the same. Every 10-15 min mostly. Unless younger bucks are close by I tend to call back and forth with them just to play around some.

That's always fun. I've picked fights between them a few times when there were a couple milling around :D

burkecountydeer

I've probly called in 2 or 3 deer and have probly tried 50 times? Anyone have any pointers. Do u think some parts of the state are better for calling then others ? Buck doe ratio?

remington742

I believe it depends on the buck to doe ratio if there are more or = does to bucks it probable wont work as well as it would if there were fewer does the bucks. I have had some tell me this before. If the ratio is = there is no reason for them to fight over the does and that they wont but im no expert for sure. I still try it to see what happens. You never know that one time you are playing around with a grunt call or rattling might pay off. I cant honestly say i have rattled or grunted one in but i still try lol

burkecountydeer

Do y'all think rattling will run deer off? Like Remington said if the deer don't have to fight ? I don't even think I have heard a deer grunt more than 3 times in my neck of the woods and that's after 10 years of hunting. Maybe I'm deff?

tween_the_banks

From Halloween to through Thanksgiving I grunt and rattle every 30 minutes.
Every year for the past 4 years, if I remember correctly, I have rattled in at least one buck. They're usually young bucks. However, one of the bucks on my wall was rattled in. It was either on Halloween or a day or two after.

As far as ratio goes, that may play a part in it all but I think it really depends on the time of year and there personality of the buck. I've seen footage of certain mature deer cowering to smaller, younger bucks and eventually being ran off.

Like people, some are fighters and some aren't.