Compact bolt action rifle?

TJay

I really like those Savage Lightweight Hunters....have looked both the blue/wood and the stainless/synthetic versions.

I have zero interest in the Creedmoor cartridges for it, though. It'll be a short-to-midrange distance hunting rifle. 7mm-08 or .308Win will work just fine for me and quality hunting ammo will be available anywhere.

Years ago I had a Model 7 stainless in .308. It was the lightest deer rifle I've ever owned. The pencil thin short barrel surprised me with the accuracy delivered. It really liked 150gr Corelokts.....nice & tight groups at 100yds so long as the barrel was allowed to cool between shots.

I goofed and topped it with a 3x10x50mm and sorta ruined the balance....but...it was a handy rifle in tight box stands.

Sold it and now would like to replace it with something lightweight.

I haven't held one yet but hope to this week. I told myself if I got a new one an old one would have to go so I'm still a little on the fence. Lots of good suggestions so far but I like that little Savage too.

Big7

The Oracle
Nice set-up!

My M700ti in .270 with Zeiss 3-9×40 is just a tick lighter and almost feels like a toy as compared with my dozens of other big game rifles. While I don't hump in as far as I used to, it comes to mind every time I have a longer walk to a stand.

I don't and have never owned one.

I have had a few "on loan" and its a fantastic round.

My only problem is, I hand-load and not much bullet selection + I have all the gaps covered.

Me thinks I would not hesitate for one second to
field one. Anywhere on the planet.

Congratulations on a fine rifle in a fine caliber.:cheers:

I like the turn-bolt as well.. :clap:

deers2ward

Nice set-up!

My M700ti in .270 with Zeiss 3-9×40 is just a tick lighter and almost feels like a toy as compared with my dozens of other big game rifles. While I don't hump in as far as I used to, it comes to mind every time I have a longer walk to a stand.

Very nice!!

Latest posts