deast1988

Kimber Mountain ascent
New ultra light arms
Tikka CTR
Remington youth model 7
Browning micro Midas
Several nice compact rifles
Kimber Montana

I have and really like two Hawkeye RCMs with 20" barrels. Very nice rifles, but the walnut stock was a tad too short in LOP, so I had a 1/2" spacer installed.

I also am a big fan of the Model Seven and own six at this time I believe. I prefer the Seven over the 700 by far.

If I wanted another ultra light bolt rifle, I'd likely go with a Kimber Adirondack in .308.

Big7

The Oracle
Kimber Mountain ascent
New ultra light arms
Tikka CTR
Remington youth model 7
Browning micro Midas
Several nice compact rifles
Kimber Montana

Ruger.. Scout. ;)

thumper523

T/C Venture Compact, comes with a 1" spacer to get a 13 1/2" LOP. I got the 243 and buddy has 308. Great rifles and accurate.

wareagle700

The Kinbers are nice. A 16" 308 would be real light weight and handy. I'd have to suppress it though, they are loud.

TJay

Lately I've been eyeballing the Savage Lightweight Hunter in the 6.5 Creedmoor. The only downside is the trigger, I know nothing about the accu-trigger and I'm not sure I'd like it. If they still made the old model Model Seven (in 6.5) that's what I would get. I've had a Kimber in .260 never could get it to shoot better than a 2" group (that and the price tag) so I doubt I'd get another one. I don't really want to invest a lot as I need another rifle like I need a hole in the head, but I have a nice scope just hanging around and I'd rather buy a new rifle than sell the scope.

jmoser

I own 4 Accutrigger rifles; takes a little getting used to but as long as you have your finger fully across the trigger face it becomes second nature.

If you are used to precision 2 stage target triggers like me its an easy transition; if you are used to 5-6+ lb 'regular' triggers you wont even know its different.

As for best compact rifle I am never selling my 1965 vintage Remington Model 600 but would get a Model 7 someday.

jglenn

model 7 in 260 is a great little rifle. owned one and it would shoot under 1" all day at 100 yds with hand loads.

bulldawgborn

x2 on the Accutrigger. I really like it. I think it has helped my shooting by a considerable margin.

Darien1

The CZ527 Carbine is the finest one made today but it's limited in the calibers offered. An old Remington or Mohawk 600 would be my second choice.

lagrangedave

Gone But Not Forgotten
I got a 700 youth in .308 with a thumb through Boyd laminated stock. It's short, easy to maneuver and deadly.

acurasquirrel

I was in the same boat. Wanted a lightweight rifle for a Wyoming hunt. Initially the Savage lightweight hunter piqued my interest, but I looked at the Kimber Hunter. Its built on the same action as their more expensive guns, but has a polymer stock. I ended getting one on sale at Cabelas in 6.5 creedmoor. The trigger was initially a little heavy, but after lightening it my groups have improved and it definitely delivers the sub MOA accuracy it guarantees. Topped with a vortex scope and a full magazine it weighs in at a hair over 7 lbs.

wareagle700

The Kimbers will shoot.. I bought a 7WSM that "wouldn't shoot under 1 3/4" at 100 yards" and with my load with the 150gr NBT, I haven't shot a group larger than 1" with it yet. Such a lightweight rifle takes practice to be proticient with though, something many folks don't do. I'd say the Kimbers are worth the extra money, a Savage would not be in my list.

Last edited:
I got a Sako Finnlight in .308 with a Vortex 2-10x40. Weighs 7# and 1 ounce.

Nice set-up!

My M700ti in .270 with Zeiss 3-9×40 is just a tick lighter and almost feels like a toy as compared with my dozens of other big game rifles. While I don't hump in as far as I used to, it comes to mind every time I have a longer walk to a stand.

Attachments

• M700ti in .270 with Zeiss.jpg
    M700ti in .270 with Zeiss.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 356
Last edited:

Dub

Lately I've been eyeballing the Savage Lightweight Hunter in the 6.5 Creedmoor. The only downside is the trigger, I know nothing about the accu-trigger and I'm not sure I'd like it. If they still made the old model Model Seven (in 6.5) that's what I would get. I've had a Kimber in .260 never could get it to shoot better than a 2" group (that and the price tag) so I doubt I'd get another one. I don't really want to invest a lot as I need another rifle like I need a hole in the head, but I have a nice scope just hanging around and I'd rather buy a new rifle than sell the scope.

I really like those Savage Lightweight Hunters....have looked both the blue/wood and the stainless/synthetic versions.

I have zero interest in the Creedmoor cartridges for it, though. It'll be a short-to-midrange distance hunting rifle. 7mm-08 or .308Win will work just fine for me and quality hunting ammo will be available anywhere.

Years ago I had a Model 7 stainless in .308. It was the lightest deer rifle I've ever owned. The pencil thin short barrel surprised me with the accuracy delivered. It really liked 150gr Corelokts.....nice & tight groups at 100yds so long as the barrel was allowed to cool between shots.

I goofed and topped it with a 3x10x50mm and sorta ruined the balance....but...it was a handy rifle in tight box stands.

Sold it and now would like to replace it with something lightweight.