Best birthday gift I've ever given myself....

Dub

Last September...

My birthday (42nd) last year sucked outright. It found me sitting in a orthopedic surgeons office being told that my MRI results showed surgery was needed to repair my ankle.

I'd damaged a tendon while scouting out some hunting spots...stepped in a pine limb/straw covered hole and then blew it out while playing golf with my father....third hole, par 5, I'm 265 from the green and gear up for a massive swing.....POW....snaps at the top of my backswing.

The surgery went okay...but the recovery was slow. 3 months out of work for the whole deal. 3 months. I've never missed time from work other than for a hernia surgery in 2006 (3.5 weeks).

Went back to work in December and fought through the pain. My left knee was a beast due to advanced arthritis (ACL surgery years ago from football & being overweight). It had taken a beating during my right ankle recovery.

I must have appeared like a shambling mound trying to get around and do my job.

I was miserable.

Two months of this and I couldn't take it. My doctor perscribed arthritis meds for the knees....laughing when he examined the x-rays...."Guy, these are the worst knees I've seen". Thanks, bro....this I know.

I was morbidly obese.

My blood pressure was out of control and he was wanting to perscribe meds to address it.

My cholesterol was NOT TOO GOOD, either. Again, he wanted to perscribe meds to address it.

I was a 42 year old train wreck.

July72009016-2.jpg

July72009026.jpg

Me, late last deer season on one of the few hunts I was able to go on.

265d8abf.jpg

I came to see that ankle injury for what it was....just the start of what would probably be many surgeries needed to fix the things that were wearing unduly on my body. My real concern was with what was going on inside my body....my heart and lungs.

Lungs.....yup....I'd been a smoker for years. I put them down in 2006.....but I feared the damage had been done.

I was wearing 6XL shirts and a size 60 in my waist.

The good Lord had been warning me. I felt the warnings all along but didn't change. He fired one more warning shot accross my bow with the blown ankle.

Guess what....he now had my attention.

My UNDIVIDED attention.

I accepted my pitiful physical condition. I owned it. I took control over it as all normal thinking people do.

March 1, 2011 found me ready to go. I had a solid nutritional plan that was committed to.

I just didn't know what I was capable of physically but I was about to surprise myself.

I laced up my sneakers and simply started walking the dog around the neighborhood.

Sometimes I couldn't go far at all....1/4 mile maybe....due to the severe pain in my knee.

I often wore a knee brace.

I'd been in the habit of renting DVDs from the Redbox.

The nearest Redbox is 1.2 miles away. I'd walk my dog to the Redbox, rent a flick....watch it and walk it back.

I joined a gym over the summer.

I became addicted to the treadmill. It was awesome. Somedays I'd even make it 2 miles without stopping....at a slight uphill grade....walking, walking, walking.

I began lifting weights, too.....then I'd walk immediately after.

The soreness and pain from lifting has been something that I fully embrace. I love that soreness. It sure beats the severe pain of post-op recovery. It reminds me that I've done something.

So....from March 1, 2011 to my birthday in September, 2011, I've made some serious strides:

• 112 pounds lost
    no muscle lost during this
    blood pressure remains untreated and is now NORMAL
    cholesterol remains untreaded is also now NORMAL
    arthritis meds are now half the amount
    went from wearing 6X shirts to now wearing 3X shirts
    size 60 pants are now size 46

2011-09-15_07-33-19_913.jpg

2011-09-08_17-20-29_315-1.jpg

I can't wait until my next birthday. I fully plan to stay on course and continue with my new fitness approach to life.

It can be done, you just have to put forth the effort.

jcinpc

Gone but not forgotten
freakin stud, lol.....what a testimonial for dogged determination.
Congrats on taking your life back

maker4life

Awesome !!!

:cool::cool::cool::cool:

BBQBOSS

Banned
Lookin good bro! :cool: Keep it up. I need to drop about 40- 50 myself. Just need to get off my lazy butt and do it!

golffreak

Congratulations on sticking with it and making a positive change in your life.

By the way, I understand the knee and ankle problems. I'm 37 and have had 9 knee surgeries.

Money man

Hey Dub,

I kid around a lot on this forum but these words are deadly serious. I want to tell you how proud I am for you for what you have accomplished and are continuing to accomplish with your lifestyle change. I know you have got to be a better man both physically, mentally and spiritually as you make your way to the person you are meant to be. I also hope that if you have the opportunity that you become the source of encouragement for others, not through your words but through your actions, as they witness the change you have made.

In short....attaboy!!!

Sterlo58

Good for you. I too have recently started an exercise program to lose weight and get off Cholesterol meds. Thanks for sharing...it is motivational. :cool:

stringmusic

Congrats:cheers: Great story and keep up the good work! It takes some serious dedication to do what you are doing.

Hey Dub,

I kid around a lot on this forum but these words are deadly serious. I want to tell you how proud I am for you for what you have accomplished and are continuing to accomplish with your lifestyle change. I know you have got to be a better man both physically, mentally and spiritually as you make your way to the person you are meant to be. I also hope that if you have the opportunity that you become the source of encouragement for others, not through your words but through your actions, as they witness the change you have made.

In short....attaboy!!!
Awesome post MM.:cheers:

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Proud for you, Dub. Hope your health continues to improve.

Dub

Lookin good bro! :cool: Keep it up. I need to drop about 40- 50 myself. Just need to get off my lazy butt and do it!

Thanks.

That is precisely why I wanted to start this thread...to show that it could be done.

I was in such a deep rut. I didn't think I could dig out of it. I felt pretty helpless.

I've always been someone who is quick to laugh and see the humor in things. When I gave myself a critical evaluation....the laughing stopped.

It was sorta like Forrest Gump...once he started running...threw off the leg braces and flat out ran.....and ran.....and ran.:fine:

I did the same...just walked.

I've not starved myself, either. Just ask the folks at my local Publix and Food Lion. I'm in there all the time....tuna, chicken, greens, fish, etc.

Awesome job. Looks like you are on the right track.

Thanks.

That's exactly what it is.....a track.....a path. It's a way of living. The changes I made are engrained in how I live. This wasn't a "diet", but a lifestyle change.

A new path.

What I wasn't prepared for is how much better all the relationships in my life are. In addition to the extra pounds, I was quick to get irritable and grumpy. That mess is gone.

I can now see making it well into my retirement years with the woman I love. She has been a huge coach, gym partner and cheerleader throughout all of this.

2011-09-14_17-09-07_584.jpg

2011-09-14_17-52-57_589.jpg

My shooting, basketball, PS3, hunting buddy:
2011-08-05_10-27-37_51.jpg

My tuckered out walking buddy:
2011-08-28_11-48-58_178.jpg

I can now see making it to every graduation my young son has: high school, college, etc.

I weight train now so that I can bounce grandbabbies on my knee one day.:biggrin2:

Oh yeah...my wife has been encouraging me to get on the elliptical machine vs the treadmill. The past two weeks have seen me on it, too. That monster burns twice the calories of the walking treadmill and does so at less of cost to your joints.

I thought I was doing good to exceed 4 miles and 900 calories on it......my wife hopped on the one beside me and showed me up bigtime.

She's got the legs to proove it, too. She's 44 years old and growing younger every day. She's been into fitness for a looooong time.

2011-09-14_17-48-25_10.jpg

Being accountable for something means that you do have control over it's state.

Life is good.

PurpleRose

You have a right to be proud of your accomplishments! It takes a lot of courage to let go of the familiar and make changes like you did. Great job!

georgia_home

awesome work brother!!! the best incentive is the people in the pictures!!! keep at it!

Dub

Congratulations on sticking with it and making a positive change in your life.

By the way, I understand the knee and ankle problems. I'm 37 and have had 9 knee surgeries.

I was in the doctor's office last week.....I have another abdominal hernia that's going to have to be fixed. It's 6" above the first that was repaired with mesh in 2006.

He was cool with letting me wait until January, though. I explained that I didn't want to be sidelined during my son's upcoming basketball season.

He gave me the green light to keep lifting and burning off the fat until then. He told me to anticipate 2-3 weeks off work (ARRGHHHHHH) and 8 weeks without lifting weights (this is going to drive me crazy). I'll be able to treadmill and advance back to the elliptical within a month....I hope.

It's game-on until then though, full tilt boogie on the fat burning muscle gains. Sure will make recovery much easier than it was in 2006. Man, oh man, that hurt with all that extra beer gut pulling down on the surgical site.

His nurse had me review all the prior surgeries. I believe the final talley was 6 with this new one making my 7th.:crazy:

Hey Dub,

In short....attaboy!!!

Thank you. That really means a lot to me.

You are so right, in that the change I sought was the initial weight loss. What I gained was so very much more than I hoped for...not the weight, but the better life. The more I do, the more I see what I can actually accomplish. Sounds corny, but the power this has given me is tremendous. I don't know if I can beat arthritis....but I've been able to cut my meds for it in half. I also don't use any more Advil, Tylenol, Motrin and etc. I was eating those like candy prior to March 1st.

Good for you. I too have recently started an exercise program to lose weight and get off Cholesterol meds. Thanks for sharing...it is motivational. :cool:

Thank you.

It most certainly can be done.

I didn't alwasy believe this, though. Jacked up knees, ankle and other pains had me feeling like I was falling apart and unable to do anything without pain.

Small steps (literally....my stride length was very limited) and short distances. Doing this as often as possible.

I also was talking to a girl in the gym who imparted some wisdom. She is a personal trainer and was giving me a free tip. She said, "Look around in here....what do you see everyone doing?". "Working hard", I replied. "Exactly right, everyone works hard in the gym....it's what you do outside of here that really makes the most impact on one's progress vs. another."

She is so right. So much of what occurs happens in the kitchen. Eat right, rest right, work hard and all the while stay well hydrated.:cool:

Keebs

Miss Moderator Ma Hen
Staff member
Matty, I like your "fluffiness" BUT, for your health, Jess & those precious boys of yours................ GIT BUSY!!!:cool:

Hey Dub,

In short....attaboy!!!
X's 10, well said!:cool:

Thanks for sharing Dub, a LOT of us need some inspiration like this, me included!!:cool:

jmharris23

Man that's great work.....Keep at it!