Go to mineral mix to put out now?

Jim Boyd

Basically, anything from a plain old salt block - white or red - to as fancy as you want to get.

I’m sort of partial to granular salt and a gallon of molasses on a rotting stump.

I have found that Trophy Rocks work well also.

I a lot of cases, it is the WHERE more than the WHAT.

Some licks I start work great and some not so great.

To me, dampness seems key.

mtclev5651

Basically, anything from a plain old salt block - white or red - to as fancy as you want to get.

I’m sort of partial to granular salt and a gallon of molasses on a rotting stump.

I have found that Trophy Rocks work well also.

I a lot of cases, it is the WHERE more than the WHAT.

Some licks I start work great and some not so great.

To me, dampness seems key.
Thanks Jim!

So you put the bag salt and just straight molasses on a stump?

Jim Boyd

Thanks Jim!

So you put the bag salt and just straight molasses on a stump?

Absolutely, sir.

I try to avoid pine but I have seen them work.

Discovered accidentally in the mid 80’s.

Set a block on a stump that was semi rotten (just as a place to put the block) and came back later and everything was gone.

Salt stump and all. All I had left was a hole in the ground.

Jim Boyd

Now I pour the salt in the stump, dump 4-5 gallons of water on it to wash it in and then pour molasses.

IMG_3147.jpeg

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
Here ya go. Nevermind the pics.

Raylander

I’m Billy’s Useles Uncle.
Don’t really matter just get some salt. Whatever is cheapest.

Pool salt works good. The red blocks from TSC work good. Last year I bought a 5gal bucket of apple flavored deer salt or some such from TSC fer like $12 (clearance)

Bucaramus

We had a mudhole at my old lease that we created with salt blocks. When we would put in a red block, the mudhole would dry up after a few weeks. Lots of tracks still. When we put in a white block it would turn in to a sloppy muddy mess again. Just an odd observation. Must've put over a 500lbs in that hole over the years.

Stroker

I spred half a bag of trace mineral in and around the hole and throw a trophy rock in the middle. Keeps things simple.

Hillbilly stalker

We used to take a gallon size zip lock baggie and fill it with rock salt and pour a bottle of Gatorade in it. We let it sit overnight. Tote a couple in a backpack and put them out. A low area that stayed a little damp worked great, always tried to find an old stump so it didn't wash away. If you put it straight on the ground they will dig a hole.