Hunting over bait fines

BRUNO

Yea thats what we need is another tax !!!! why must it be a $50 permit ; why should I have to pay for permitsion on my own hunting property . l do what i feel is right on my property . Want to do it fair , just take a vote state wide . By the way from what i have seen if deer can fill there gut in darkness why would they go to pressured areas to feed in the daylight . just food for thought

Last edited:

boiladawg78

I have a feeder in the edge of the yard at our old family farm. No one lives there now. I have sat in the yard many times and watched deer walk past the corn to eat acorns. Why are we not fined for hunting over acorns; that's probably deer's favorite food?::ke::rolleyes:

Branchminnow

GONetwork Senator Area 51
mission accomplished

Wild Turkey

Local judge sets the number with guidelines.
Bad part is if you have some $$$ your fine will be max.
If your broke fine is less. Reasoning is why fine a man $500 if he dont have it to pay.

We had 2 poachers, no orange, no licenses, killed does.
Each paid $100 fine because they were broke/poor.

I dont agree with this practice at all. Should be set numbers state wide and high no matter if you can pay out of pocket or over 5 years. No money, go to jail or work the road crew.

Jeff Phillips

I would support standardization of the results of getting caught poaching over corn.

How about $1500 fine and 5 year loss of hunting privilages?

If you can't kill a deer legally in Georgia, you ain't much of a hunter::ke:

Luke0927

Yea thats what we need is another tax !!!! why must it be a $50 permit ; why should I have to pay for permitsion on my own hunting property . l do what i feel is right on my property . Want to do it fair , just take a vote state wide . By the way from what i have seen if deer can fill there gut in darkness why would they go to pressured areas to feed in the daylight . just food for thought

That is the downside I would rather it be legal but this way i could see the people who don't support maybe go for it, they would see that the dollars could help improve GA hunting/fishing....only way i could support it was if there was a way it could all stay with DNR to help fund buying WMA's, habitat improvement etc....(but we all know how the politicians are)....I'm all for baiting on private property its your property no one should tell you how you can kill a deer on as long as its ethical and shooting one eating corn or clover is no different.

GTN

That is the downside I would rather it be legal but this way i could see the people who don't support maybe go for it, they would see that the dollars could help improve GA hunting/fishing....only way i could support it was if there was a way it could all stay with DNR to help fund buying WMA's, habitat improvement etc....(but we all know how the politicians are)....I'm all for baiting on private property its your property no one should tell you how you can kill a deer on as long as its ethical and shooting one eating corn or clover is no different.

I agree. A food plot is no different. Food is food for a deer, it's not illegal to hunt over a cut corn field.

BEEVUS

:hammers: It's becoming a anti/pro baiting subject....:offtopic:

:stir:Not to stir up the pot any.....but it's up to the probate court judge to set the fines per county. :huh: I for one can't see them equalizing the fines....and I also don't see them legalizing hunting over bait, there is tooooooooo much revenue to be brought in each county come opening morning!:rofl::rofl::rofl:

mr4shootin

not true!!! you are responsible for a 200 yard radius around you. 200 yards is 200 yards.

So does that mean if you were huntin near the property line you would be allowed to trespass on your neighbors property to make sure there is no corn within 200 yards of your stand?:huh:

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
So does that mean if you were huntin near the property line you would be allowed to trespass on your neighbors property to make sure there is no corn within 200 yards of your stand?:huh:

No, your not responsible for property you cant scout. But............if your stand is on the property line and the corn is 10 foot on the other side, and the feeder could be seen from your stand, kind of hard to convince the GW you didnt know it was there. When the GW has to use good judgement to decide if your in violation or not, it would help matters if hunters could show they used good judgement in stand placement. Works both ways.

doublelungdriller

No it means if you don't know your neighbor then don't hunt 200 yards from the property line. That's what the ranger told my buddy back in 2003

I would support standardization of the results of getting caught poaching over corn.

How about $1500 fine and 5 year loss of hunting privilages?

If you can't kill a deer legally in Georgia, you ain't much of a hunter::ke:
try tellin the millions of hunters that hunt corn fields and the ones that do it in texas and canada and other place baiting is legal. in my views there is no difference hunting over a planted food plit or apple tree hunter planted it hunters also bought the corn and brought is just an opinion

childers

hes right! 200 yards is 200 yards. even if its two properties over. the law doesn't allow for baiting. if you are caught hunting within 200 yards of bait, your going to get a big ticket! the game warden doesnt care whose it is as long as its there. so you might want to be careful when out in those woods!

horse2292

there shouldn't be any fines for baiting. there shouldn't be any penalties for baiting. if it was detrimental to the deer herd or "unsportsmanlike", then other states wouldn't allow it. some of the biggest deer i've every personally seen killed have been by my family in texas who killed those deer over corn. IMHO, it's just another way for the DNR to get money out of the hard working people who pay their sub-par salaries. i've never been fined for hunting over bait nor do i practice it aside from using it to get pictures of deer on my trail-cam during the offseason. i don't need bait to kill deer. in my book, corn or baiting in any form is no different than food plots, rattling antlers, calls, or scents; "baiting" is just as "un-natural" as the so-called legal means to attract deer.

:cool::cool:

mlmathis123

Now to answer the real Question. The fine is at the descrestion of the probate Judge of the county where the
offense happen!!!!!!!!!! That is why you see them from $50 on up.

The property I hunt borders some property that a probate judge happens to own. Last season the judge came through with his tractor and bushhog and passed my stand by about 75 yards. I waved and he didn't but he did notice me sitting there. He proceeded to cut further back into the woods for about 45mins, musta hit ever tree in the forest. Then he can back past me, I waved he looked. 30 mins later he passed me again on his 4 wheeler with a bag half full of something and his shotgun on the front. I decided to move the stand just to be safe. 3 days later the GW came through and found me he informed me that he had been notified I was hunting over bait. We talked and he walked over to the judges property and there it was, but I was 210 yards from it. Sounded like I was almost placed in a bad situation but im glad I move that stand. You can't tresspass to scout an area that in my case is posted so I have to make sure I stay as far off his line as possible. I would hate to have to face him in his court :banginghe

southerndraw

I got a buddy that hunts over an open field.. It's about 250 yards long. At 205 yards he put 2 pallets stacked on top of one another and a feeder right behind the pallets... over 200 yards and out of line of sight.

tournament fisher

if you get caught by me on our club i charge $1250.00. thats your membership dues and you are out of the gate. we have no bait and we have no gw problems either.