Hunting over bait fines

Ace12

hes right! 200 yards is 200 yards. even if its two properties over. the law doesn't allow for baiting. if you are caught hunting within 200 yards of bait, your going to get a big ticket! the game warden doesnt care whose it is as long as its there. so you might want to be careful when out in those woods!

That crap wouldn't hold up in court around here. My lease is a narrow piece of property only 200 yards across, that stupid rule would eliminate me from hunting my lease completely. The judge here has more sense than that. Hopefuly our GW does too.

Jeff Phillips

try tellin the millions of hunters that hunt corn fields and the ones that do it in texas and canada and other place baiting is legal. in my views there is no difference hunting over a planted food plit or apple tree hunter planted it hunters also bought the corn and brought is just an opinion

Baiting is against the law in Georgia. This is a Georgia forum discussing Georgia hunting. Your "view" has no relevance on the fact that hunting over bait is poaching;)

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
I've found some bait I'm going to hunt near. Acorns, falling from a big liveoak.

savage

fine

I believe Putnam county fine for bait is 210.00. DNR doesn't get one cent of the fine money, maybe they should? State politicians would probably just waste the money on something non-DNR related.

Gulfin

Not sure what the fine is, shouldn't ever have to pay one and I know I'm getting off topic but....

I'm going to hunt every bit of my property if I so choose, I don't care what the other landowners do. If I get a ticket because somebody on a neighboring property puts something out I guess I'll take my chances in court. From what has been posted here obviously it happens but that is complete bull droppings! I just can't see how anyone should be penalized for something they have no control over. Basically what that says is I could walk a trail of corn around our entire property line and no one on an adjacent property could use the first 200 yards of THEIR OWN property all the way around it. Wow, talk about a screwed up government!!

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
Anyone know why there isn't a standard fine across the state. Until there is a bill passed no two bait fines will be the same. Each county has their own set of fines to hand out,

because the judge has the discretion to fine in the amount they deem necessary.

This is a good thing overall, BTW.

T

grouper throat

My neighbor got one fine for $275 for baiting last year. His feeder was out of sight but only 190 yds away. The neighboring club was mad after they heard he killed a P&Y buck there several wks before and turned him in as they don't feed the deer on the adjacent lease. Hence, he pulls alot of the bucks off their property.

Jim Baker

Staff member
If you are scouting your neighbores property you are treaspassing.

There is no resonable , legal way to know if your neighbore is puting out corn unless you can see it from your property.

A rangers discretion is one thing, and varys greatly from one to another. Writing you a ticket for bait being on your neighbores property would be a discrace and I doubt it would hold up in court.

You are right. The GW can write up a ticket for most anything. He knows that most times the person will just pay the forfieture bond, it is not a fine, and not go to court.

I know of at least four cases of hunters being written up for bait across a property line marked by a fence.

They all went to court, it took from 6 to 9 months before they went to trial. The state court judge dismissed all charges. Then he chastised the GW for writing them up.

Fines for hunting deer over bait run $450 for deer and turkey, doves $150 for a state case.

killa86

there shouldn't be any fines for baiting. there shouldn't be any penalties for baiting. if it was detrimental to the deer herd or "unsportsmanlike", then other states wouldn't allow it. some of the biggest deer i've every personally seen killed have been by my family in texas who killed those deer over corn. IMHO, it's just another way for the DNR to get money out of the hard working people who pay their sub-par salaries. i've never been fined for hunting over bait nor do i practice it aside from using it to get pictures of deer on my trail-cam during the offseason. i don't need bait to kill deer. in my book, corn or baiting in any form is no different than food plots, rattling antlers, calls, or scents; "baiting" is just as "un-natural" as the so-called legal means to attract deer.

amen brother take this post to hunting over bait by life in the south. your right its the same whats the difference in throwing apples on the ground and putting an apple tree out for hunting purposes and then sitting over the apples no difference does it make you a better hunter killing over an apple tree as opposed to killing over a pile of apples absolutely not!!! still ur hunting over bait it just happened to fall from the tree. not to derail the thread so ill respond to fines. from what i understand absolutely $0 goes to the dnr of fines from sportsmen.i differ on one aspect from simpleman reguardless of my opinion it should b a standardized fine for hunting over bait where the fine goes to the dnr and court costs fine goes to the county where its originated. people say that if your hunting over bait youre not hunting. well websters dictionary defines hunting as the pursuit of game. it does not say anywhere in its definition of hunting or being a hunter that all game cannot be taken over baited area. but i do agree wholeheartedly that food plots, scents( example the smell of corn , apples, estrous doe or dominant buck,) watering holes are still baited areas.heck in africa they bait leopard with carcasses of dead animals in trees yet no one would have a problem ethically with this or killing an antelope over a watering hole out west no ethical problem. or killing a bear up north over a baited barrel just ethical problems with deer. sorry bout the rant did not mean to derail.

Redleaf

there shouldn't be any fines for baiting. there shouldn't be any penalties for baiting. if it was detrimental to the deer herd or "unsportsmanlike", then other states wouldn't allow it. some of the biggest deer i've every personally seen killed have been by my family in texas who killed those deer over corn. IMHO, it's just another way for the DNR to get money out of the hard working people who pay their sub-par salaries. i've never been fined for hunting over bait nor do i practice it aside from using it to get pictures of deer on my trail-cam during the offseason. i don't need bait to kill deer. in my book, corn or baiting in any form is no different than food plots, rattling antlers, calls, or scents; "baiting" is just as "un-natural" as the so-called legal means to attract deer.

True fact. I was in a club where a member got a ticket for baiting when he picked up a couple of crabapples on the way to his stand. He threw them down in a logging road about 40 yards from his stand and got a ticket for baiting. Thats just plain and simple revenue generation. Nothing else.

Wack-n-Stack

Fines

Your amount you pay on your fine has to do with the county in which your fined in. What ever the GA code is on the ticket is the amount you pay in the GA code book. You have Big and Small game amounts. Every fine has a code and a fine amount set with that code.