Much needed hunt - God's presence

ssramage

I apologize in advance for the lengthy type up, but yesterday's hunt was special for many reasons and, if nothing else, it helps me to share.

I need to start by providing some backstory. Back on November 9th I was sitting in the deer stand and got a call that I knew would eventually come one day, but it didn't make it any easier. My 82 year old Great Aunt had been diagnosed with terminal pancreatic cancer, and as sole caregiver to my Uncle, was having to make some fast decisions on care for him due to his late stage dementia. Long story short, but the last 30-45 days has been a very difficult season of life between health, family estate challenges, and many, many travel trips for me personally. You see, these two people never had kids of their own, but took the role of grandparent for me and my siblings. For all of my life, they've been the only grandparents I've known. My uncle was never much of a hunter, but he was always the biggest fan of whatever interested me and my brother. When I lived back home, I'd ride by every deer and turkey to show them at their house and continued to send pictures/call every time once I moved away. The health of both my aunt and uncle has declined rapidly in the last month and last Tuesday, my uncle, went to be with the Lord. We laid him to rest on Sunday. His death has been very difficult for me to process.

Yesterday, 12/22, would have been his 83rd birthday. Today was also my Uncle Les's birthday. In honor of his birthday, me and the boys went to spend some time in the outdoors. I can remember growing up we would ask my uncle why he never went to church. He would tell us that the church walls weren't where he knew God to be, he saw God in the outdoors. I've always found that to be true for me as well.

To be honest, I wasn't really interested in "the hunt." I needed a recharge and some clarity. My 8 year old son on the other hand was all about it and wanted a doe. He's killed two bucks so far, one last year and one this year. He said he needed a doe now. I was happy to put him behind the gun and he elected to use my 7mm-08 Model 7 instead of his .243. Shortly before dark a red cardinal appeared in front of us and perched on a pine stump. I smiled and thought about the cardinals that had appeared during my uncle's funeral last weekend, remembering the old adage of "when a red cardinal appears, an angel is near". The cardinal hung around for a few minutes and then suddenly flew away. At that moment 2 does stepped into our shooting lane. Dawson made a perfect shot using my rifle on the larger of the 2 does. She made it about 150 yds and gave my boys a good blood trail to follow.

After processing the deer back at camp, I shut down the generator and it struck me how many stars could be seen in the sky once everything was dark and quiet. I showed it to my boys and my oldest emphatically said that one of those stars was my Uncle and one was my Mom (who passed when I was 13). I took a quick minute to say a prayer of thanks for our successful hunt, thanks for our family, and asking God to show his presence in this season. I prayed for my aunt who is still dealing with this terrible disease. I didn't pray for healing, but rather for comfort. And I prayed for a welcoming party like none other for these people as they are ( in my opinion) as good of people as this world or Heaven will ever see. Almost on cue, a shooting star flew across the sky, reminding me of his promise. God is good.

This season of life will continue to be difficult. Unfortunately my aunt will be joining my uncle, probably sooner than any of us want. After being married for 62 years, she's at peace with that and we all are as well. But with their deaths, a giant era of our family comes to an end. The family "homeplace" will be sold, assets liquidated, and what has already been contentious will be more so I'm afraid. Regardless of the stress and the grief that is sure to come, I do find peace in knowing that a simple trip to the woods can still restore my soul and if I look hard enough, I might just see glimpses of those I'm missing.

Thanks for reading and allowing me to share.
IMG_3808.jpg
IMG_3813.jpg
IMG_3820.jpg
IMG_3821.jpg
IMG_3773.jpg

pjciii

Your Uncle was right about the Church with no walls. Very wise man. There is no greater restorative Power than the outdoors in its full glory where you can feel so humbled and small in the big scheme of things. Just like the night sky. Its is a place you can go to figure things out if i get out of my own way. Thank you for post and sharing Your thoughts and feelings.

hawkeye123

Awesome story, sorry for you loss, a couple of months after my mom passed a cardinal came on our front porch and wouldn't leave, almost flew into me 3 or 4 times , refused to leave, gave my wife a lift as she was still missing my mom bad - on Christmas Eve

Duff

Great words, story, tribute and pictures Steven. Prayers for you and your family this holiday season.

Those boys are getting big!

Dart

I know where you are coming from with this Great Story, I lost my Dad last October,
he was 84. I still have times where i am not sure what to do as i saw him at least once a day and spent most Saturday's with him fishing or hunting. I have also had Cardinals come around me when i am outside.

Jim Thompson

Live From The Tree
I apologize in advance for the lengthy type up, but yesterday's hunt was special for many reasons and, if nothing else, it helps me to share.

I need to start by providing some backstory. Back on November 9th I was sitting in the deer stand and got a call that I knew would eventually come one day, but it didn't make it any easier. My 82 year old Great Aunt had been diagnosed with terminal pancreatic cancer, and as sole caregiver to my Uncle, was having to make some fast decisions on care for him due to his late stage dementia. Long story short, but the last 30-45 days has been a very difficult season of life between health, family estate challenges, and many, many travel trips for me personally. You see, these two people never had kids of their own, but took the role of grandparent for me and my siblings. For all of my life, they've been the only grandparents I've known. My uncle was never much of a hunter, but he was always the biggest fan of whatever interested me and my brother. When I lived back home, I'd ride by every deer and turkey to show them at their house and continued to send pictures/call every time once I moved away. The health of both my aunt and uncle has declined rapidly in the last month and last Tuesday, my uncle, went to be with the Lord. We laid him to rest on Sunday. His death has been very difficult for me to process.

Yesterday, 12/22, would have been his 83rd birthday. Today was also my Uncle Les's birthday. In honor of his birthday, me and the boys went to spend some time in the outdoors. I can remember growing up we would ask my uncle why he never went to church. He would tell us that the church walls weren't where he knew God to be, he saw God in the outdoors. I've always found that to be true for me as well.

To be honest, I wasn't really interested in "the hunt." I needed a recharge and some clarity. My 8 year old son on the other hand was all about it and wanted a doe. He's killed two bucks so far, one last year and one this year. He said he needed a doe now. I was happy to put him behind the gun and he elected to use my 7mm-08 Model 7 instead of his .243. Shortly before dark a red cardinal appeared in front of us and perched on a pine stump. I smiled and thought about the cardinals that had appeared during my uncle's funeral last weekend, remembering the old adage of "when a red cardinal appears, an angel is near". The cardinal hung around for a few minutes and then suddenly flew away. At that moment 2 does stepped into our shooting lane. Dawson made a perfect shot using my rifle on the larger of the 2 does. She made it about 150 yds and gave my boys a good blood trail to follow.

After processing the deer back at camp, I shut down the generator and it struck me how many stars could be seen in the sky once everything was dark and quiet. I showed it to my boys and my oldest emphatically said that one of those stars was my Uncle and one was my Mom (who passed when I was 13). I took a quick minute to say a prayer of thanks for our successful hunt, thanks for our family, and asking God to show his presence in this season. I prayed for my aunt who is still dealing with this terrible disease. I didn't pray for healing, but rather for comfort. And I prayed for a welcoming party like none other for these people as they are ( in my opinion) as good of people as this world or Heaven will ever see. Almost on cue, a shooting star flew across the sky, reminding me of his promise. God is good.

This season of life will continue to be difficult. Unfortunately my aunt will be joining my uncle, probably sooner than any of us want. After being married for 62 years, she's at peace with that and we all are as well. But with their deaths, a giant era of our family comes to an end. The family "homeplace" will be sold, assets liquidated, and what has already been contentious will be more so I'm afraid. Regardless of the stress and the grief that is sure to come, I do find peace in knowing that a simple trip to the woods can still restore my soul and if I look hard enough, I might just see glimpses of those I'm missing.

Thanks for reading and allowing me to share.
View attachment 1124075
View attachment 1124076
View attachment 1124077
View attachment 1124078
View attachment 1124079

Keep those pics and memories for life. Stay strong brother

4HAND

Cuffem & Stuffem Moderator
Staff member
Thank you for sharing. May God richly bless you & your family.
I too have walked that road. There's a lot of comfort in knowing they are in a better place.

Silver Britches

Official Sports Forum Birthday Thread Starter
God bless you and your family, brother.

lonewolf247

Great story! Thanks for sharing!

My dad passed away earlier this year, he was 89.5 years old. He always lived live to the fullest. He retired at 65, but he kept himself really busy, raising cows, chickens, a garden, and also diehard at hunting and fishing his entire life.

He went to church every Sunday, but you could tell, he found God in his everyday life, in all of his outdoor activities. When he passed away, although we were extremely close, for some reason, it just didn't hit me as a sad event. When I thought about it, i realized that he had done everything he ever wanted to do. Also, I realized that we had done everything together that we had ever wanted to do. That went for all my siblings and myself.

He was down the last few months before his passing and we also knew it was getting close. I asked for a sign from God, that everything would be ok. I had just left from seeing him that day, and on my drive home, A song came on the radio. It was the first time I heard it, and I realized it was the sign, I had asked for, and God had sent it to me.

The song captures what you mentioned in your post, about finding God in the outdoors, and everyday life.

Chris6294

What an amazing story! Id only heard the expression “church with no wallls” referring to the outdoors once or twice, but after a story like that, id say its now committed to memory. Thanks for sharing!!