no smack

RipperIII

My assessment:
As most people believe, I also think this game is won or lost in the trenches where UGA has a marked advantage in the offensive line relative to BAMA's offensive line.
UGA's line is experienced and good, BAMA's line has 3 new starters and an unproven blocking TE...Big Edge to UGA
However, O-lines don't play against each other.
BAMA's D line is almost 3 deep, and all very good, so in the match up of BAMA's D line vs. UGA's O-line I give the Tide a slight advantage.
UGA's D-line vs. BAMA's O-line, I'd give slight edge to UGA because of the edge pressure they can generate, and BAMA has shown weakness on LB gap blitzes and even some edge rushes.
UGA's LB's are some of the best, quick and speedy to the ball as are BAMA's LB's...I think BAMA has more depth at the position and I'd give a slight edge to BAMA even though BAMA may be a step slower than UGA at that position, BAMA is deeper and bigger which bodes well against the run of UGA's O
Secondary,...can't say a lot about UGA's simply because I haven't seen them play much, I assume that they are adequate...BAMA's secondary has greatly improved and they have changed coverage schemes to reflect the talent there,...no more big hulking safety, these guys are track stars in the off season with great ball skills,...they are better than most people think and it takes a perfectly thrown pass to beat them most times. I'm gonna say the secondary is a push with a BIG Caveat...UGA's QB has had more game experience and more success this year than BAMA's QB has had, Coker can make all the throws, and if not for 5 dropped passes last week, his stats would be greatly improved, but there in lies the problem, BAMA's receivers are young, talented, but young, still I like BAMA's secondary vs. UGA's receivers as well as I like BAMA's receivers vs UGA's secondary...so a push.
RB's I have to give the edge to UGA,...but not by much, UGA's backs get the benefit of a great O-line and in many cases aren't touched until they've hit the 2nd level, not so with BAMA's backs, if BAMA's o-line can generate some push and re-establish the run game(and that is a significant "if") then I'd say it's a push...but I'll give UGA the edge based on their O-line.

Special teams?...BAMA's Jekyl and Hyde, I know UGA has a good return game and historically good kickers so I'd say UGA has the edge there.

QB's...this is interesting...Coker has looked awful at times, and untouchable at other times,...but he has been baptised in a crucial game already, Ole Miss defensively is as good if not better than UGA at all levels, and if not for a goofy play, BAMA wins that game....that was at home to be sure, so we'll see how he does in Athens.
Lambert has looked fantastic against lesser opponents, be interested to see how hes does against BAMA's D
I'll give the edge to UGA here

at first blush it would appear that UGA should be a heavier favorite, being at home with the more experienced O-line and a great tandum of RB's, as well as a much improved D...not to mention the frustration of the last 2 meetings between the 2 teams, the FPI index surely favors the Dawgs

I feel like UGA will win, but last time BAMA was in Athens, UGA had the better talent by far and couldn't win it so who knows.

If Coker gets it together, and the O-line improves a bit, then BAMA has a chance at the upset, otherwise I give the edge to the favorite, UGA.

ROLL TIDE!

Browning Slayer

Official Voice Of The Dawgs !
Now it looks like the weather will also be a factor..facepalm:

SpotandStalk

Bama's d line over Uga's o line
Linebackers are even
Uga's secondary over Bama's

We've not seen Uga's qb under pressure so let's say they are even.
Uga has the better RBs
Uga has better receivers
Uga has better TE play

Uga has a significantly better offense while the defenses are pretty much equal.

Uga rolls at home. 41-31

SpotandStalk

None of this matters cause FSU will horsewhip either team.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
My assessment:
As most people believe, I also think this game is won or lost in the trenches where UGA has a marked advantage in the offensive line relative to BAMA's offensive line.
UGA's line is experienced and good, BAMA's line has 3 new starters and an unproven blocking TE...Big Edge to UGA
BAMA's D line is almost 3 deep, and all very good, so in the match up of BAMA's D line vs. UGA's O-line I give the Tide a slight advantage.
UGA's D-line vs. BAMA's O-line, I'd give slight edge to UGA because of the edge pressure they can generate, and BAMA has shown weakness on LB gap blitzes and even some edge rushes.
UGA's LB's are some of the best, quick and speedy to the ball as are BAMA's LB's...I think BAMA has more depth at the position and I'd give a slight edge to BAMA even though BAMA may be a step slower than UGA at that position, BAMA is deeper and bigger which bodes well against the run of UGA's O
Secondary,...can't say a lot about UGA's simply because I haven't seen them play much, I assume that they are adequate...BAMA's secondary has greatly improved and they have changed coverage schemes to reflect the talent there,...no more big hulking safety, these guys are track stars in the off season with great ball skills,...they are better than most people think and it takes a perfectly thrown pass to beat them most times. I'm gonna say the secondary is a push with a BIG Caveat...UGA's QB has had more game experience and more success this year than BAMA's QB has had, Coker can make all the throws, and if not for 5 dropped passes last week, his stats would be greatly improved, but there in lies the problem, BAMA's receivers are young, talented, but young, still I like BAMA's secondary vs. UGA's receivers as well as I like BAMA's receivers vs UGA's secondary...so a push.
RB's I have to give the edge to UGA,...but not by much, UGA's backs get the benefit of a great O-line and in many cases aren't touched until they've hit the 2nd level, not so with BAMA's backs, if BAMA's o-line can generate some push and re-establish the run game(and that is a significant "if") then I'd say it's a push...but I'll give UGA the edge based on their O-line.

Special teams?...BAMA's Jekyl and Hyde, I know UGA has a good return game and historically good kickers so I'd say UGA has the edge there.

QB's...this is interesting...Coker has looked awful at times, and untouchable at other times,...but he has been baptised in a crucial game already, Ole Miss defensively is as good if not better than UGA at all levels, and if not for a goofy play, BAMA wins that game....that was at home to be sure, so we'll see how he does in Athens.
Lambert has looked fantastic against lesser opponents, be interested to see how hes does against BAMA's D

at first blush it would appear that UGA should be a heavier favorite, being at home with the more experienced O-line and a great tandum of RB's, as well as a much improved D...not to mention the frustration of the last 2 meetings between the 2 teams, the FPI index surely favors the Dawgs

I feel like UGA will win, but last time BAMA was in Athens, UGA had the better talent by far and couldn't win it so who knows.

If Coker gets it together, and the O-line improves a bit, then BAMA has a chance at the upset, otherwise I give the edge to the favorite, UGA.

ROLL TIDE!

A good assessment. Both teams have strengths and weaknesses that match up well against the other side and it will be up to one team or the other to exploit strength against weakness. The team that does that wins. That's why I give the edge to Bama. They have the intangibles the Dawgs lack namely Saban v. Richt. Saban is a winner. Richt is well, Richt. Can you say "Pooch Kick"?

If the Dawgs win it will be because of Schotty and Pruett but their intangible value has yet to be established and it may not be enough right now this early in the season. I like Schotty over Kiffin all day long but I just don't know. UGA's big intangible is home field advantage. If Bama puts up points often and quick that will be neutralized.

Rain will play a big part too. The passing attack for both sides will suffer and wet balls and turf = turnovers and those will be huge if and when they happen. I suspect it will happen to both sides at least once and could spell the difference in the game.

Go Dawgs!

brownceluse

My assessment:

ROLL TIDE!

Fair and agree 100%. Lets see how the match up plays out and hope both teams end the game with 0 injuries. Dawgs have been known to blow big games like this so who really knows. Go Dawgs beat Bama!

Unicoidawg

Staff member
My assessment:

ROLL TIDE!

Pretty spot on except I thinks UGA's lb's have a edge. Gonna be a war.......:cool:

nickel back

BAMAS D is going to be tough to run against. I was hoping that UGA would come out slinging the ball at first and establish the passing game (maybe throw BAMA a curve ball) but bad weather may make that a tough road also.

DSGB

Can't argue with anything that's been said. I'm looking forward to what should be a great game.

rhbama3

Administrator
Staff member
I think Bama's biggest obstacle will be turnover's and 3 and outs. I'm pretty confident our defense will be good, but they will wear down if the TOP goes heavily into UGA's favor. Coker inspires little confidence with his passing game so UGA gets the nod for the better QB, running backs about the same, Bama's secondary is suspect at times so if it rains out the passing game......good.
Lawd, just don't let it come down to a 40+ yard FG at the end of the game.

doenightmare

Gone But Not Forgotten
Good grief - can't we just play the stupid game already? I'm sick of hearing about it and I already told you thugs what was gonna happen. S & S had it bout right in post #6.

Browning Slayer

Official Voice Of The Dawgs !
Excuses already starting

Auburn thugs in a UGA no smack thread..facepalm:

Not excuses, just simple facts that the weather will play a part in this game. From passing to turnovers...

This game is shaping up to be a good one! I just hope both teams come away with minimal injuries so we can both beat the crap out of Auburn!:cool:

flowingwell

Now it looks like the weather will also be a factor..facepalm:

This is the worst news of the weekend. All of that wonderful scenery in Athens will now be covered in ponchos! I suggest a white out:biggrin2:

I just hope the game is as good as last time these teams locked up, with a slightly different outcome this time:clap:

Arrow3

Bama has Saban though and that's probably worth an extra 7 points...