Ok GOUT Sufferers, I have a question.

georgia_home

Speak of the debil! Been walking a bit recently and thought I pulled something in my foot. Nope.

Flare tonight, left foot, base of middle toes. Started and within 20 minutes it was raging.

Let’s see how it goes the next few hours. Jumped on it with everything. Hydro, cholchicine, and the first ibu in 2 months, 800mg.

EDIT: next morning, After another 2 cholchicine 5mg hydro and another 800mg of ibu, it’s mostly gone. A mild discomfort in left foot. Will need one more cholchicine tonight and that should finish it up.

Didn’t walk this morning though. Worried about aggravating the foot.

Hopefully that’s all for a while.

Last edited:

Snookpimpin

I get it in both big toes. Doc said no more sea food, red meat, or alcohol......... I haven't had an attack recently and cant figure out my triggers. I haven't changed my diet at all and it seems to be completely random. the only time I know its coming is if I stub my big toe or hit the side of it hard. if I give it any reason to swell the slightest gout is coming in the morning.

4HAND

Cuffem & Stuffem Moderator
Staff member
Has anyone noticed a connection with Hispanic food/seasonings?
Had a flare up yesterday. Only thing I can think of that might have triggered is Mexican food.

pjciii

I have not made a connection to it. But i wouldn't rule it out. If it was pork it is possible.

TimBray

Had my first (and 2nd worst) attack back in about '95 at age 40 in my L. big toe. Worst attack was in '08 after my neck surgery (shattered disc). Both knees swelled up like volleyballs. I have been to several doctors over the years and have been on a daily dose of Colcrys for years. Cherry juice and/or extract offered minimal relief as well. Allopurinol did not help and actually increased the frequency of my attacks.Right after the first of the year I had a pretty bad attack (my PCP gives me a script for Prednisone for use when I have a bad attack). Even after several days of increased Colcrys and Prednisone I still had considerable pain. My SIL had mentioned doing a juice cleanse for his diet. I started wondering if it would help with gout. Googling turned up something I had never seen before about gout. Drinking lemon juice. Figuring I had nothing to lose, I started squeezing 2 lemons per day and tossed it down like a shot. Within a week most of my pain was gone and 3 weeks later I am pain-free. I also switched over to concentrate last week and am still symptom free.

https://www.healthline.com/health/lemon-juice-gout#how-to-take

Disclaimer- I am not a doctor nor did I sleep at a Holiday Inn last night. But, it worked for me. YMMV. ;)

georgia_home

I have not, but everyone is different. We have seasoned tacos at least once a week, and other things flavored similarly with cumin, Various pepper powders, and such. If it was a trigger for me, ida had to cut my foot off by now.

Back a number of years ago, i went through an Indian food phase. Something there was triggering a flare. Never figured out exactly which dish(es) it was. But it was repeatable. After a few repeated flares, I moved away from the Indian food, flares reduced.

Had a flare up yesterday. Only thing I can think of that might have triggered is Mexican food.

walkinboss01

My brother has gout, and has had it for several years. He’s had some flare ups where he’s had extreme difficulties walking. He started taking cbd gummies a couple of months ago, and said he’s cured. He also has had at least two knee surgeries, and said the made a huge impact on them as well. He first bought some gummies from a health food store, and was so impressed he got a prescription.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member

Beans.....were there frijoles in the Mexican food.

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
Well guys, another pain-free week had gone by for me.

My diet is still as terrible as it ever was, so the only thing I can figger is that the cherry/cider vinegar supplements are working for me...

Here's hoping my luck holds.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
Yup. Hadn't thought of that.
Lady at our church cooks the best roast pork w/black beans. I remember getting gout after the last 2 times I ate it.

Taking Uloric allows me to eat that stuff. Obviously you need to ship all this damaging food my way. It’s the least I can do.

georgia_home

They don’t bother me, but one of the guys I work with gets really hit by them!

I think it’s put him in the hospital a time or two looking for relief from the pain on serious flares.

Yup. Hadn't thought of that.
Lady at our church cooks the best roast pork w/black beans. I remember getting gout after the last 2 times I ate it.

Lilly001

I'm struggling with going on 4 weeks of this nonsense.
This is, by far, the worst attack I've ever had.
This am I woke to feel my right toe throbbing. I guess it's jealous of my left ankle.
Luckily it seems to have subsided.
My Doc upped my Alopurinal to 300 mg/day but said to wait until I was pain free to start. I'm still waiting.
I'm trying the lemon juice thing fist thing tomorrow.

LittleDrummerBoy

Allopurinol 300 mg has controlled it well for me for nearly a decade now. But I've learned to feel very mild pain from trigger foods, so I either take a second pill on days when I eat them, or I try harder to avoid them. My strongest trigger foods are shrimp, beer, and venison. But a variety of injures will also drive my uric acid levels up. My doc measures my uric acid levels once a year.

A number of other things that may be trigger foods for others are not for me: wine, fish, legumes, Mexican.

Controlling your uric acid levels is important not only to prevent gout flare ups but also to prevent different kinds of kidney stones that can be very painful.

LittleDrummerBoy

I'm struggling with going on 4 weeks of this nonsense.
This is, by far, the worst attack I've ever had.
This am I woke to feel my right toe throbbing. I guess it's jealous of my left ankle.
Luckily it seems to have subsided.
My Doc upped my Alopurinal to 300 mg/day but said to wait until I was pain free to start. I'm still waiting.
I'm trying the lemon juice thing fist thing tomorrow.

Indocin and colchicine usually solved flare ups pretty quickly for me.

4HAND

Cuffem & Stuffem Moderator
Staff member
I've never had a problem with kidney stones.
I take Indocin for a flare up.

Latest posts