Ok GOUT Sufferers, I have a question.

TimBray

I'm struggling with going on 4 weeks of this nonsense.
This is, by far, the worst attack I've ever had.
This am I woke to feel my right toe throbbing. I guess it's jealous of my left ankle.
Luckily it seems to have subsided.
My Doc upped my Alopurinal to 300 mg/day but said to wait until I was pain free to start. I'm still waiting.
I'm trying the lemon juice thing fist thing tomorrow.

I sincerely hope it works for you. (y)
I'm still pain-free and eating whatever I want so I'm thinking it's working well for me. :love:

Lilly001

I've been doing the lemon juice thing for a couple days.
Nothing dramatic, but the pain is almost gone.
Coincidence? I like lemonade so I'll keep it up.

TimBray

Glad to hear it. I can't believe all the years I've suffered with flares and unknown hours researching preventative measures and just accidentally ran across the lemon juice treatment.

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
My diabetes dr.told me a high carb intake can trigger an attack.

B. White

I had my first problem late 2019 I think. I've never had another bad attack since, but every once in a while my left foot feels like it is starting. This week it got worse over 5 days to the point of couldn't bend the toe joint yesterday morning and hurt too bad to try and limp around

Read several places where the active ingredient in Aleve gives very quick relief and there were several studies done on it with positive results. My wife had a bottle of it and I took two of them. Within four hours I was walking with no pain and started working in the yard and garden.

It may not work in all cases, but thought I would add this post for anyone who may want to try it with a flare up. It is a cheap and quick recovery, if it works for you. Hated I limped around a few days before I tried it.

HughW2

I have not heard about lemon juice; but the tart cherry juice seems to help me a fair amount.

HughW2

I have not heard about lemon juice; but the tart cherry juice seems to help me a fair amount.

2dye4

I just saw this and wanted to post. I take 35-4800 mg of tart cherry extract every day and have not had a problem since. I do try and watch what I eat. No pork chops or gizzards(which I love). I told my dr. that the only places I get gout is where I have had cortisone shots. That peaked his interest but never heard from him to see if he’d found anything in relation to getting the gout.

greg_n_clayton

Indomethacin is what I keep on hand for when mine flares up.

bassculler

Indomethacin for me. About 10 years ago, after quite a few bad attacks, i decided to get serious about my diet and trigger foods. I started eating just mainly vegetables and added one meat at a time. After a month of that, i realized it wasnt the meat. For me, its high fructose corn syrup and shellfish. So, i cut out all corn syrup, began drinking more water, a shot of apple cidar vinegar daily and rarely have shellfish. I may have one attack per year these days.

DannyW

300 mg of allapurinol did it for me. Haven’t had any problems since starting about 4 years ago

Old thread but this ^ is what works for me.

Never did try to figure out a "trigger". Read the list and it sounded a whole lot like my diet.

AceOfTheBase

allopurinol did it for me too.
as for triggers, pigging-out on shrimp will do it for sure. (I do like shrimp)

transfixer

Don't know why I missed this thread until now, I started having gout issues about a yr and a half ago, started taking 300mg allopurinol, didn't really make a difference, I seldom eat red meat, eat mostly chicken, grilled or rotisserie, salads, whole wheat bread, seldom ever drink a beer, do enjoy a half inch or so of bourbon most evenings before bed, but when the gout started I was rarely drinking bourbon or beer. Doc now has me on 400mg of Allopurinol, still won't go away,

Some days it isn't bad at all, sometimes it bothers me a good bit, mostly in my toes, going to check into that indomethacin and see what that's about , haven't heard of it before,

transfixer

Ok, the indomethacin is what my Doc didn't want to give me, cause I've had bypass surgery in the past, it increases your chances of heart issues. oh well ,

I tried the tart cherry juice for a while also, didn't seem to matter

2dye4

Ok, the indomethacin is what my Doc didn't want to give me, cause I've had bypass surgery in the past, it increases your chances of heart issues. oh well ,

Trying taking 4800mg of tart cherry extract capsules. Those solved my issue.

greg_n_clayton

I too have 4 by-passes and a couple of stints. My Doc still renews my scrip every year just so I have it on hand. I don't take it on a daily basis. Just when I feel it coming on..which .....knock on wood....hasn't happen in quite a while now !!

transfixer

I too have 4 by-passes and a couple of stints. My Doc still renews my scrip every year just so I have it on hand. I don't take it on a daily basis. Just when I feel it coming on..which .....knock on wood....hasn't happen in quite a while now !!

hmmm, okay,, I'll have to ask about using it on an "as needed basis " then, thanks!