Ossabaw - What you need to know if you go there.

Just back from our pig hunt on Ossabaw Island. I killed two and shot at a whole bunch more. That was by far the most exciting and fulfilling hunt any of us had ever done. There is a density of hogs on that island that I have never seen anywhere else! Thanks to all the folks who patiently endured my questions and passed on information. You would think that the DNR would send you an informational letter about what to expect and bring etc…so I will attempt it here:

1. Killkenny Marina in Richmond Hill will send you a letter offering their services. They will get you to and from the island for about $85 per person.

2. If you use your own boat, you can put in at Sunbury boat ramp and approach from the south, but if you have a smaller boat, use the Ft. McAllister ramp and come from the north. You can tie up in the stream.

3. They have wagons there to help you get your gear from the dock to your site. Share and be patient.

4. Sites are all over the place and nice. Each has a fire ring.

5. They have a building with four toilets and showers (hot water!). Bring your own toilet paper!!!

6. Separate shelter with two sinks for dishwashing. Water spigots in this area.

7. They have two large power strips to charge your phone (or plug in your InstaPot as one person did).

8. Game cleaning station with 4 hoists etc. Clean the animal and toss guts into the front end loader for them to dispose of.

9. Each person can hang two animals in the cooler and if space permits, you can put your own cooler in after that until departure. No ice unless you bring it.

10. They take you out on wagons for your hunt area that you sign up for. Talk to the wardens and they can give you general information about each area to help you choose. You can change around to different areas after each hunt. They take you out at 0600 and pick you up at 1100, then back out at 1400 and back at 1830. They will pick up your kills at the same time.

11. Get there the day before or whenever they open the island for arrival. You can fish and scout around.

12. Bring your own fire wood. (Of course I suggest not to transport from one end of the state to the other due to the possibility of moving in bad bugs etc.). Other than that, you can pick up fallen wood around the camp.

13. Pack out ALL your garbage. They do not have a dumpster.

That is about all I can think of for right now. I will try to post some pictures when possible. If you have any questions, please P.M. me or replay back here.

Cheers!

Jeff

One more thing, the woods are fairly open there, not completely clogged with thick underbrush. So you can use a normal scoped rifle with success if you want. Also no need for waders. Normal waterproof hunter boots work fine.

Last edited:

1eyefishing

...just joking, seriously.
Thank you for your informative post and attitude.
I have always had a couple of questions regarding some of the subjects here. Will post them up soon if not covered before that......

Yeah it was great. Thank you for your information when I asked. Not sure what the final tally was but probably near 30 or so. Less than 50 hunters showed out of the 100.

AliBubba

Nice... bumming cause we were planning to go to Cumberland next week but due to Gov shut down, don't think it's going to happen... :mad:

1eyefishing

If you stream anchor your own boat, I imagine they have a little skiff or dinghy available to get back and forth from the dock to your boat. Is that service limited? Or can you get to and from your boat at will?
Would a 24 ft bay boat be small enough to bring in from the north?
Would like to know about the minimum and maximum sizes of boats that stream anchored...?

Cwill15

If you stream anchor your own boat, I imagine they have a little skiff or dinghy available to get back and forth from the dock to your boat. Is that service limited? Or can you get to and from your boat at will?
Would a 24 ft bay boat be small enough to bring in from the north?
Would like to know about the minimum and maximum sizes of boats that stream anchored...?

If there's no dock space and you stream anchor you'll have to find your own way from the dock back to the boat. nothing's provided at the island other than the dock itself

Cwill15

Good post DoubleFive, I believe i met you guys on the trailer heading out. here's a few from my trip:

IMG_0882.JPGIMG_0767-min.JPGIMG_0900-min.JPGIMG_0917-min.JPGIMG_0779-min.JPGIMG_0782-min.JPGIMG_0781-min.JPG

1eyefishing

How did the folks do stream anchor get back and forth from the boat to the dock?
Did any boats have to stream anchor?

Cwill15

How did the folks do stream anchor get back and forth from the boat to the dock?
I didn't see any stream anchored and haven't in the 8 trips I've made to Ossabaw. There is a good bit of dock space. What I have seen though is boats tied to other boats when the dock space runs out...

@Cwill15
Yeah it was good to chat with you. Looks like you had a good hunt. You left a bit early, I believe. Did those raccoons run you off? :)

Good question. On this hunt, there were not too many boats that stuck around. I think most rode the lift in from Kilkenny marina. I just asked the guy who boated us in there and he was under the impression you cannot anchor or tie off above the high tide mark, so what Cwill15 said is about right.

Like I said in the beginning, it would be great if the DNR sent a letter to everyone with these details or at least had it on a website....

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
Looks like y’all had a great time and got some pork to boot , nice pictures also !

Redman54

It is a magical place for sure. I always take my own boat and have never had to stream anchor, there was always room on the dock to tie up and when space ran out, folks just tied to other boats. Most people don't have any issues with tying up to their boats, just ask around and you will find a willing person.