question: what do you guys do with the coyotes you shot?

chase870

Possum Sox
I had a time in my life when I was hungry enough to eat one.Lucky for me,God sent me some squirrels.
I don't plan to ever get that desperate again.Subsistance hunting is NOT fun.
Agreed, I've been there too. I was lucky and knew my way around the golf and country club and had the access code to the property's back gate. Ate plenty of rabbits and fish my Senior year in High School

longrangedog

Whoever came up with the bright idea to "reintroduce" those destructive critters was an idiot. Hope DNR don't try any more tricks like that. I never seen a Yote until I was grown and I stayed in the woods so I know there wasn't any.
The DNR "reintroduced" coyotes? Where? When?

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I remember when they started showing up at our family farm where my Grandfather lived.

She had a nephew my Daddy and Uncle's age, she sold him about 8 acres to build on and when he started killing them, my Uncle would tell me and I didn't believe him.

I rode by the relative's barn one day and he had the back of it covered in Yote hides. Probably 30 tacked up there and he was selling them.

I was glad he was there ( for that, he was a major pain on some things) to keep them Yotes beat down.

At one point my Daddy started paying for dead Yotes. They were killing calves he and my Uncle were in together on.

Whoever came up with the bright idea to "reintroduce" those destructive critters was an idiot. Hope DNR don't try any more tricks like that. I never seen a Yote until I was grown and I stayed in the woods so I know there wasn't any.
DNR 100% didn't "reintroduce coyotes." I have no idea where you came up with that one, but it's dead wrong. They mostly walked here under their own power, interbreeding with wolves along the way. There were a couple introductions from private folks with fox pen type operations, but it was mostly a natural range expansion. Nature abhors a vaccum, and an unfilled niche will get filled.

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
I had a time in my life when I was hungry enough to eat one.Lucky for me,God sent me some squirrels.
I don't plan to ever get that desperate again.Subsistance hunting is NOT fun.
If you get anywhere near that hungry again, contact me. A fellow that can fry up a fish as well as you can should nor be allowed to be hungry.

crackerdave

I was living in a tent in the Ocala National Forest by choice just to prove to myself that I could live off the land and the River.
I was hungry sometimes,but it didn't kill me.If it got too bad I could always trade a mess of fish for a pizza and a pitcher of beer!

Thanks for the offer and compliment,though.

Last edited:

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
I was living in a tent in the Ocala National Forest by choice just to prove to myself that I could live off the land and the River.
I was hungry sometimes,but it didn't kill me.

Thanks for the offer and compliment,though.

The Oklawaha? I fished that river hard for a couple of years.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Yes,sir.
We might have crossed paths a few times.

It was in the mid 70`s. Fooled around the Frontier and Hog Valley some too. Did a good bit of turkey hunting on the Scrubs side of between the dam and Hwy 19.

crackerdave

It was in the mid 70`s. Fooled around the Frontier and Hog Valley some too. Did a good bit of turkey hunting on the Scrubs side of between the dam and Hwy 19.
You're a brave man to fool around in either of those places alone.

I heard the Frontier burnt to the ground and a church is on the property now.

Big7

The Oracle
DNR 100% didn't "reintroduce coyotes." I have no idea where you came up with that one, but it's dead wrong. They mostly walked here under their own power, interbreeding with wolves along the way. There were a couple introductions from private folks with fox pen type operations, but it was mostly a natural range expansion. Nature abhors a vaccum, and an unfilled niche will get filled.
I don't know where I got that either. Prolly on the internet. :bounce:

I just read a more recent deep dive from a "coyote foundation" that was working with Emory and they said in addition to hunters turning them lose similar to the way fox hunters turn fox lose, most came across the Mississippi in the early 1970's.

And.. I found an old article from our very own GON that shines a little light on the subject.
I found interesting this: I knew it was bad, but not this bad.
The vast majority of coyotes killed by hunters in Georgia are likely victims of happenstance. According to WRD small-game hunter telephone surveys in 2001-02, 6,382 hunters killed 15,955 coyotes.
The canny cousins of dogs, wolves, foxes, and jackals, coyotes crossed the Mississippi River about a century ago and started showing up in Georgia in the 1970s.

Recon that settles it then. :cheers:

Feral Pigs, Landlocked Striped Bass and Coyotes are DEFINITELY on my KILL LIST.

Last edited:

longrangedog

The void was created by the decline of the red wolf population. The DNR has made efforts to restock the red wolf.

jNick

You're a brave man to fool around in either of those places alone.

I heard the Frontier burnt to the ground and a church is on the property now.

I’d love to hear some of your survival stories. Any run-ins with the rainbow people in the ONF?

Frontier didn’t burn, but it is a church now. Makes me chuckle every time I drive by.

crackerdave

I’d love to hear some of your survival stories. Any run-ins with the rainbow people in the ONF?

Frontier didn’t burn, but it is a church now. Makes me chuckle every time I drive by.

I'm writing a book from a 15 year period in my life between wife one and my best and last one.It will for sure be full of survival stories.

Never encountered any rainbow people that I know of.
Where I lived was in another part of the Forest.There are many people from all walks of life living in those woods.

I bet God gets a chuckle out of the new church,too.
I heard it(Frontier) was torched....there was a lot of arson in that area a few years back.Wonder how many church folks used to drink and fight at the Frontier? God can work in powerful ways to change lives.

Last edited: