Stone Knives

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Here`s four stone knives I just completed. The one on the front has a flint blade and the back three have obsidian blades.

Attachments

• MVC-066F.JPG
    MVC-066F.JPG
    61.1 KB · Views: 913

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Another angle.

Attachments

• MVC-067F.JPG
    MVC-067F.JPG
    59.5 KB · Views: 826

ramsey

Nick- knives are nice for sure. Which type will out-preform the other as to cutting edge and duribility etc?

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Ramsey, obsidian is by far the sharper of the two. It`s a minimum of 600 times sharper than a surgical scalpel. You don`t usually feel an obsidian cut.
A good high quality flint blade is not quite as sharp as obsidian, but still sharper than steel knives and is much more durable than obsidian due to the hardness of the stone.
For a knife that I plan on usin`, flint is my stone of choice.

WOODIE13

2023 TURKEY CHALLENGE 1st place Team
Nice looking blades.:cool:

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Mike, the knife in the front is held together with pine pitch glue and wrapped with deer sinew. The other three are held together with deer hoof glue and wrapped with deer sinew.

LJay

Retired Mod
Man Nick, them thangs is purty as a puppy dog!!! That Red and Black looks like a Ga. Bulldog knife!!!!!!!

Dudley Do-Wrong

I have one of Nick's knives and I have no problem in telling folks that they are of the best craftsmanship I have ever seen. If any of you are looking for a "sho-nuff" collector's item, you need to get a knife from Nick.

justme

They look Great!

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Thanks for the compliments ya`ll. :eek: Phil, yours is the one LJay called the "Bulldog" knife. :D

bam_bam

great lookin knives nick. i was wandering what is your thoughts on gut hafting verses sinew.

Branchminnow

GONetwork Senator Area 51
Hey Nic do you sell them?

WOODIE13

2023 TURKEY CHALLENGE 1st place Team

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
I sell and trade them. PM me for details.

Bam Bam, I have used gut, but it is aggravatin` to clean and is not as strong as sinew. When you wet a piece of sinew and wrap it tightly, it stretches a little. When wet, the natural glue in the sinew activates and helps bond everything together. As it dries, it shrinks and forms a very tight bond. Sinew is so strong that I`ve never seen anyone who could take a piece of it the size of #8 sewin` thread and break it between their fingers. It`s tough!
It`s real easy to get the sinew from your deer. after you skin it, look at the backstraps. There will be two silvery strips about one inch wide on either side of the backbone, coverin` the backstraps. They will run from the hindquarter all the way up and run into the front shoulder. Take a dull butter knife (I use a long deer leg bone awl) and slide it between the sinew and the meat. work it up and down the length of the sinew freein` it from the meat. After it it free, then cut it loose at the top and bottom and put it aside to dry. On each leg, there is a tendon on the front and backside of each legbone. These will be about big around as a pencil. remove these as well and set aside to dry. Keep out of reach of varmints.

When you are ready to use the backstrap sinew, just wring it between you hands and it will fiber up and partly separate. Simply pull of the fibers in widths that you need.
On the leg sinew, pound it between two rocks to soften it up, pull of the protective cover sheet, and pull off fibers as you need them.

Last edited:

CAL

With out a doubt,ole Nick was born late in time.Shoulder been here with the early settlers and the mountain men.

Where did ya learn all that stuff nick?

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Thanks Cal, I learned through a combination of trial and error, research in libraries, countless hours in the woods tryin` things out and experimentin`, and two good friends, Ben Kirkland and John Tuttle. The work these two turn out makes mine look like kids play.
Livin` history and primitive skills are a lot of fun and are a never endin` class where you learn something new every time. I`m not satisfied just knowin` the trees, critters, stone and everything else out there. I want to learn and know the practical use and applications for all these things. Our ancestors knew these things. I feel a very real need to know them as well. It helps me to see through their eyes.