The case for Joe Cox.

Danuwoa

Redneck Emperor
This is long and I don't necessarily agree with all of it but it's interesting.

So, in the midst of all this amazing QB debate garbage, I thought I'd write a piece that will likely sound pretty strange to those who have been followers of my blog, or know me personally. I'm here to tell you why Georgia fans should be happy that Joe Cox was our quarterback in 2009.

Still reading? I'm actually a bit surprised, but glad to have your eyes. Let's get to it.

Now, if you aren't a David Hale reader...first off, shame on you. Secondly, you should check out this blog about this year's QB Battle. In it, you will find stats from last year's spring practices as well. These numbers had many people calling for Aaron Murray to be the starter from day one last year, and some others saying at the very least, Gray should be sharing equal reps with Joe Cox. Statistically, Cox was pretty weak in the spring.

As it turned out during the season, Cox's yards-per-attempt (7.8) was much better than in spring (5.3), his completion percentage was 4.9% higher (59.9 v 55), but his TD:INT ratio was terrible - 8:5 vs 3:1. THAT my friend, is the big knock on Cox. That's why people say he was so awful. That is why he will not be remembered with great fondness by a large percentage of the fanbase. However, I think those who are quick to paint Cox in a bad light should take a couple of things into consideration.

First - What were the options for Bobo and Richt? They could go with their fifth-year senior, the strong leader who the team trusted and would rally behind. Or, they could go with a sophomore option-style quarterback who had never gotten his feet wet in a game, and whose numbers were better in spring, but would ultimately prove to be a falsehood in the fall. Or, they could go with the true freshman who had all the fans going bananas during spring practice, but who obviously needed more time to learn the playbook and the system.

Still, today, many fans wish they'd seen Murray get the nod. Nevermind the fact that the kid was hurt for much of the season, and wouldn't have been at 100%. Nevermind the fact that he wouldn't be likely to check in and out of plays at the line (often checking OUT of a bad play is the best call a QB makes). No, the statline is the lone deciding factor for many of these fans.

These fans are nuts.

Look at Buck Bellue's stat line in the 1980 Sugar Bowl and tell me that's a performance you'd ever want to see. It was only good enough for a National Championship.

But, forget about 30 years ago. Let's look back to less than 12 months ago.

GM 1 - Joe Cox wasn't at 100% ... we all know that. I submit to you that if not for a phantom personal-foul against Reshad Jones on a perfectly legal hit, we win that game. Do you think the freshman with tendonitis would have fared well in that hostile environment? What about Logan? Would taking his first real snap in Stillwater have been the way to go? No. The answer is obvious. You go with Joe, if at all possible. You're not going to convince me that having Logan OR Aaron in that game would have given us a "W". 0 - 1

GM 2 - South Carolina rolls into town, bringing a stingy, blitzing defense. Cox was serviceable in this game. He even overcame the late pick to lead the team down and get the winning field goal. If Gray or Murray is in the game, the best we do is still win it. 1 - 1

GM 3 - Arkansas - without Cox, we don't win this one. That game became a shoot-out in the second quarter, and neither Gray nor Murray would have held their own against Mallet in that game. Neither defense played particularly well, but once again, this one was a big road game, this time IN the SEC. Cox's field knowledge gave him the leg-up up. Without Joe, we lose that one. 1 - 2

GM 4 - ASU - Cox wasn't brilliant, but didn't need to be. ASU really didn't have a shot in that one. In fact, Cox's less than stellar performance was the entire reason ASU was in that game. I think Murray or Gray would have been fine. 2 - 2

GM 5 - LSU - it pains me to even remember this game. This is the one game where I think having a running-type qb in the game may have helped us out. Joe had a great 4th quarter, and our defense had kept us in the game...but Cox was bad on 3rd down for much of that game. Our running game had yet to appear, so on 3rd and 4, we were forced to call pass plays. I'd like to think that a run-pass QB option would have been effective. I just don't know. I doubt that either Gray or Murray would have had the 4th that Cox had, but they may have played the other 3 quarters better, making the comeback run in the 4th unnecessary. Then again, against John Chavis? I doubt it. 2 - 3

GM 6 - TN - No way, no how. The defense had absolutely no answer for the play action pass (seriously?), and Monte Kiffin had his defense on search and destroy. Sorry, neither Gray nor Murray wins it. 2 - 4

GM 7 - Vandy - Vandy was just plain overmatched. Our QB wouldn't likely have made much a difference. This is one of the games where I wanted to see somebody getting some reps. 3 - 4

GM 8 - Florida - Come on. - 3 - 5

GM 9 - Tennessee Tech - Come on. (of course, UGA didn't score after Cox left) 4 - 5

GM 10 - Auburn - We don't win this without Joe. The way Auburn jumped on us early, the way we couldn't get the running game going. Who's gonna get the guys on the comeback trail? Is it Murray, who at this point in the season was rehabbing injury, or is it Gray, who had proven in his few minutes against FL that he wasn't ready for prime time? Sorry folks, no Joe, no W. 4 - 6

GM 11 - UK - Many people blame the UK loss on Joe Cox, and I think he definitely deserves a good bit of it. Those 2nd half interceptions were unbelievable. I actually watched that game on Tivo, knowing that we were going to lose, and at halftime, I couldn't figure out how it was going to happen. Still, don't forget all three of UGA's TDs in the game came from the arm of Joe Cox. I say we still lose to KY. 4 - 7

GM 12 - Georgia Tech - This one's not too difficult to call. We still win. Joe was pretty nonexistent in this one. At least he didn't throw a pick. This was the gameplan we'd liked to have seen for UGA all year long...run, run, run, toss one to keep them honest, blow them out. 5 - 7

Bowl? Nope.

What else? Well, at 5 - 7, Damon Evans might have been persuaded to listen to the yahoos calling for Mark Richt's head. So, he could very well be gone right now. That'd be a tragedy.

Instead, we're coming off a down year, yes, but one that the team can build on. I've said in my blog before that Richt has now had two long-term UGA quarterbacks who've done things two ways, redshirted (Greene) and thrown into the fire (Stafford). Who here remembers which one was the more successful college quarterback? Who remembers which one was the more naturally gifted? Ok, now, look at a kid like Aaron Murray. He's Naturally Gifted, AND because of Joe Cox, he's had a year to learn the system before he ever has to take a meaningful snap in a game.

ALSO because of Joe Cox, Zach Mettenburger has benefited from a true quarterback competition. He has grown by leaps and bounds. Had either Gray or Murray been annointed the starter in 2009, that would put Metts YEARS behind in his own mind. He'd be playing "catch-up". Instead, he's been pushing himself to be the starter.

ALSO because of Joe Cox, Mark Richt is back in the film room and will be a bigger part of QB development. Perhaps this is EXACTLY why Stafford and Cox didn't develop as well as we'd have liked. I don't know, but it would make sense. Richt had a pretty good history of developing QBs at FSU, and David Greene and Shockley both succeeded under his watch. As he stepped back though, it appears that the progress diminished. Looks like he doesn't want that happening any more.

Long story short, Joe Cox starting in 2009 was best for Georgia then, and it's best for Georgia's future. Whoever wins this quarterback battle in the fall will go into the season having prepared his best simply to win the job. He will have good knowledge of the offense, and will have faced scrutiny from the coach most qualified to offer it. And, he will continue to work to be the best, because he will have others pushing for his position. Without Joe Cox, we lose much of that.

Way to go, Joe.

Go Dawgs.

Woody's Janitor

I have never seen a hostile environment in Stillwater unless it was the visiting team.

chadair

I didnt read it all. But the 1st part is easily aruable NOW. No one knew (not sure y Richt didnt) that last year would be a rebuilding year. But it obviously was, so y not give a sophmore a shot or even a healthy freshman. Joe Cox sat behind a very talented qb for 3 yrs, but he was a 5th yr senior. He had is chances the 4 yrs previous.

I just think the entire Joe Cox story is to b blamed on Richt and Bobo. UGA would look a lot better goin into this year had Logan or 1 of the freshman had a lot of playin time from last year. But has a gator fan, I appreciate the fact that they dont:D

good luck guys and bring on August

Danuwoa

Redneck Emperor
Well of course you blame Richt Stacy. LOL. I think the coaches should catch their share of criticism but not in the area that you might think so much as another. I tend to agree with Senator Blutarsky's take on this. He posted a reply to the original post on Cox:

After reading Ben’s impassioned defense of the coaches’ decision to start Joe Cox last season despite Joe’s statistically weak spring, I can’t help but wonder if we’re fighting the wrong battle about last season’s problems on offense. For me the flawed call wasn’t starting Cox, but going with Samuel and Thomas as the best options at running back for as long as they did.

I recognize that some of that call was the result of preseason injury issues with King and Ealey, but it was pretty apparent early on that the Dawgs weren’t getting sufficient production from the tailback position. The result was that more of the offense was thrown on the shoulders of Cox and the consequences were about what you might expect: from the first four games to the next four, (1) passing attempts increased on the order of four per game; (2) passing yardage decreased by more than fifty yards per game; (3) the interception rate increased; and (4) as a consequence, passer rating plummeted. He simply wasn’t capable of handling the burden placed on him. And I don’t think there was a quarterback on the roster last year that would have been.

Look what happens in November, though, as the team starts to get traction behind the King/Ealey duo. Passing attempts per game drop by twelve, but yards per attempt increase dramatically. The interception rate drops, and the touchdown rate increases. The passer rating goes up by almost 50%.

There’s no question that Joe deserves his share of the credit and the blame for the ups and downs of last year’s offense. I agree with Ben that there’s no way Georgia beats Arkansas without Cox; he certainly added fuel to the fire, though, with his decision making in games like Tennessee and Kentucky. But it seems fair to say that he was handicapped to some extent by being asked to play a bigger role in the offense than was good for either him or the team.

sandhillmike

Gone but not forgotten
Here's a case for Joe, compliments of Gator fans everywhere.

Attachments

• wgcasepabst.jpg
    wgcasepabst.jpg
    11.6 KB · Views: 223

chadair

Look what happens in November, though, as the team starts to get traction behind the King/Ealey duo. Passing attempts per game drop by twelve, but yards per attempt increase dramatically. The interception rate drops, and the touchdown rate increases. The passer rating goes up by almost 50%.

bottom line is Brad, that Joe Cox was not a good Div1 qb. and to further my point about rebuildin, is that Logan or one of the freshmen could have gotten valuable playin time, especially after Ealy and King started carin the load.

Richt's biggest down fall as a Head Coach is his loyality.

chris parks

if mett. or murray start the first 8 with the o line the way it was with the running backs the way they played may have been worse than sitting out this year they should have the o line better and 2 good running backs this should help ease some of the pressure on the qb so the game does not depend totally on their performance

Danuwoa

Redneck Emperor
bottom line is Brad, that Joe Cox was not a good Div1 qb. and to further my point about rebuildin, is that Logan or one of the freshmen could have gotten valuable playin time, especially after Ealy and King started carin the load.

Richt's biggest down fall as a Head Coach is his loyality.[/QUOTE]

I agree. I also agree that Joe wasn't a good qb. I'm torn on the Murray issue. Part of me believes that they should have put him in somewhere around the Tenn game when it became apparent that the season was pretty much a lost cause all together. But part of me wonders how much good that would have done. We'll never know if Stafford's being thrown into the fire as a true freshman stunted his development or got him ahead of the curve. If Murray comes out and looks good this year, some people will say, "See they should have played him last year." Others will tend to think that whatever success he may have will be a biproduct of having a year to get ready.

I'm not gonna get all pious and ACguy on you and act like KNOW either one for a fact. But I do tend to think that if Murray is successful this year, that doesn't mean that he would have been as a true freshman. But I could be wrong. Starting Logan after the Tenn game last year was the best course of action in my opinion. We could have found out what he had and he's been around long enough that he knew what to do so the play book wasn't an issue. That also could have made a three way qb race this season unnecessary as he would have either gotten a good hold on a position or eliminated himself for the most part. But I do agree with some of your points.

Last edited:

sandhillmike

Gone but not forgotten
I'm sure Joe Cox is a fine young man, and certainly CMR rewarded him for sticking it out behind Stafford. In defense of your coach, who does seem to suffer from "nice guy syndrome", he was trying to win games, not get ready for next year. Cox was probably the best choice to do that, but you will pay the price again this year, more than likely, due to the lack of experience. Some coaches would have handled it differently.

Danuwoa

Redneck Emperor
It remains to be seen if we will "pay the price" this year. I certainly imagine that you hope so, and we might. But we might not. Had Stafford had time to learn the system his first year as a starter, we win at least half of the games that we lost. And Murray is far better than Cox in terms of talent.

Last edited:

RipperIII

Richt's biggest down fall as a Head Coach is his loyality.

I don't really have a dog is this hunt, but sometimes "valuable" playing time for an untested, young QB can lead to disaster...lack of confidence, injury...it does not always work in a straight line progression.
UGA's O-line looked horrible most of last season...admittedly improving the last few games, Cox was probably the right guy at the right time.
I thought his attitude was bit of a problem.

Danuwoa

Redneck Emperor
I don't really have a dog is this hunt, but sometimes "valuable" playing time for an untested, young QB can lead to disaster...lack of confidence, injury...it does not always work in a straight line progression.
UGA's O-line looked horrible most of last season...admittedly improving the last few games, Cox was probably the right guy at the right time.
I thought his attitude was bit of a problem.[/QUOTE]

I know what you mean. I definitely think he made a mistake lashing out at the fans for the criticism that he was taking. I know that's not any fun but it's part of it. Just like being a big shot and getting more credit than you deserve are part of it when things are going right. He didn't buy himself any good will with that.

sandhillmike

Gone but not forgotten
It remains to be seen if we will "pay the price" this year. I certainly imagine that you hope so, and we might. But we might not. Had Stafford had time to learn the system his first year as a starter, we win at least half of the games that we lost. And Murray is far better than Cox in terms of talent.

Well, sure I hope the Mutts struggle, nothing new there, but you lose 9 (I think) starters on the D and are going to be led by a QB, who ever he is, that has virtually no experience. New staff not withstanding, anyone who isn't wearing Dawgie glasses would predict a problem. :cheers:

Danuwoa

Redneck Emperor
Well, sure I hope the Mutts struggle, nothing new there, but you lose 9 (I think) starters on the D and are going to be led by a QB, who ever he is, that has virtually no experience. New staff not withstanding, anyone who isn't wearing Dawgie glasses would predict a problem. :cheers:

I love when you people try to act as if you're the ones looking at it objectively. No matter who was coming back or not coming back for a given season, your predictions are always that there are gonna be big problems. So "Dawgie glasses" not withstanding, you'll have to forgive me if I have a hard time taking you seriously as an objective and impartial observer.