Well, it happened to me. Almost didn’t make it home to my wife and kid

Jason Stringer

I sent this to several of my friends that don’t wear a harness. Hopefully they will now. Thanks for posting

M77 Ruger

Man that crazy glad to hear you are alright. I was just in my climber at 40 feet this weekend without a harness. I will be buying one. What kind of climber was it?

MaddawgJ

Glad you made it out of the woods. Thanks for sharing, this wake up call may save others too.

Hillbilly stalker

I know people are curious about which stand, but boys it really don't matter. They are all welded or pressed pieces . That means any of them can fail or break like any other mechanical item. Wear your harness and let someone know where you are hunting at and for gods sake take your stand out in the yard In good daylight and check every square inch of it.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
Glad you and your friend made it out OK. It sounds like it was a close run thing. From this day forward remember friends don't let friends deer hunt in a tree without wearing a safety harness. And don't get an el cheapo safety harness. Get a good one. Your life depends on it.

Tlen

i dont know if you know the lord or mot but you better thank him for your life because he was there that day for you bless you

SlowMotion

Glad you made it out ok. I have 3 young kids at home so I've made a commitment to always wear a harness, even when climbing into a ladder stand.

I have a few extra harnesses. If anyone needs one please let me know and I will find a way to get it to you.

OmenHonkey

I Want Fancy Words TOO !
Glad you are safe. You don't hunt with me without a harness period. I have left the woods and returned home more than once when i forgot it.

BuckNasty83

Glad your ok and able to share this experience with us. I'm bad about not putting my harness on until i get up the tree. Don't wear them in ladder stands, though I reckon I should. Can't imagine how scary that was for ya, but it seems your eyes are open and probably opened a few of ours too!

tbrown913

How many? Not being a smart but, just curious how much it happens?

I was at grady opening weekend of archery season visiting a friend there. There was a game warden I know there and he was up checking on a hunter that fell. He said there had been reports of 3 from opening morning in Georgia.

someguyintraffic

Glad you are here to realize your mistake. Had this happen to me. Bottom busted and went, caught myself dip exercise style in the top piece. Pulled up through stand and reached out and rode a 20 ft young pine to the forest floor below. No harness. I was young. 20 maybe. I dont use climbers any more. Ladders well achored to trees and ground.

Bubba_1122

Got to bottom of my ladder stand yesterday morning and realized hadn't put my harness on.

Hiked all the way back to my truck and put it on. Then hiked back into the swamp, connected onto the safety rope and got up in my stand.

Was aggravating to hike out of the swamp, but I'm 100% committed to strapping in (was also pretty tempting to say "well just this time will be ok").

bangbang gang

Read this story and went straight to buy a harness. Been wanting to get one but finally after reading this talked some sense into me

bangbang gang

Read this story and went straight to buy a harness. Been wanting to get one but finally after reading this talked some sense into me

Deerhead

I am so glad you are OK! I bought my third harness this year. They are inexpensive. Thank you for sharing your story.

Priceroad

I`ve been using a harness for maybe 10 years. I went to my climber several years ago on opening morning of bow season, step up on climber and realize I`ve forgotten my harness. So I drive back to camp and sit out opening morning because I didn`t want to mess anyone else hunt that morning. Go back that afternoon and got a big doe. It was worth not hunting that morning because I forgot the harness. Glad you came out alright.