What Makes A Successful Season For You Personally?

XIronheadX

PF Trump Cam Operator !20/20
There's a whole lot of enjoyment to be had in having birds to work that gobble every now and then. The success this year was having plenty of Toms. The failure is they were silent and barely gobbled. Didn't answer much, didn't shock gobble. Barely gobbled from the roost. Lucky to get a random gobble. I enjoy having one kick my tail over for a few hours more than one that comes marching in.

TomC

Playing a "note" on a call, an instantaneous "hammer" back at you and then closing the distance talking back and forth all the while. The further out they start the better! As long as I can call in birds each spring it's a success in my book.

Got a couple this spring but the most exciting hunt was one where a BIG bird got the best of me! Had him gobble probably 50 times, maybe more from distances of 50 to 75 yds out. It was amazing!! Never had one gobble that many times at such a close distance and not be able to bring him in. Just an awesome experience! I only wish I still got as excited about deer hunting!

Tadder

Being BLESSED to have the health too be able too get out and chase these Old birds. Having the opportunity to work and set down too an OLD bird and watch em do his dance whether he wins the day are we get Blessed with a opportunity to give em a ride in the truck. There so, many thing that happen as the sun rises and all Gods creation is taken place from Owls , Wiper wheels , red birds , crows and that awesome GOBBLE sets the heart rate too rising. Them lonsume hens fire off and the OLD BOY is henned up and happy. GODS GOOD. I got too see a couple take the ride and didn't fire a shot. Worked birds tile the FAT LADY SANG friday and had a Blast. Came close with my wife and daughter many times but the Old Boy won and thats just fine. Lord willing the Old Boy will be there too dance the dance and play the game next season.

mguthrie

**# 1 Fan**OHIO STATE**
Last year I had the most fun you can have without killing a bird. Heard birds on almost every hunt. Got to work a few birds and missed one that came in silent. This year I heard birds on EVERY hunt. Had as many as 8 different birds within 50 yards gobbling. Killed my limit including the biggest and heaviest turkeys I’ve ever killed. I consider both seasons successful

Turkeytider

For me, I`m just grateful to be able to get out, see the woods and everything in it. The virus really screwed up my season, couldn`t hunt with my friend at his camp. I`m a hunter, so a part of " success " is meeting my personal goal of A bird in a season. Scouted one bird, hunted that bird a couple of weeks later, and was fortunate enough to bring him home after a memorable hunt. Only hunted that one time. Other than not being able to hunt with my buddy, the season was a great success for me!

six

Knowing I did everything my way and had fun doing it. If I can think of any moment during the season I smiled or laughed, or caused somebody else to do so then it was a success. Fortunately I’m easily amused and this past season was no different than the previous seasons I’ve experienced, full of those moments I just mentioned. So I’m putting a checkmark in the successful box on my season.

Last edited:

Wayne D Davis

First season in a few that I didn't at least get one bird. A successful season to me is being in the woods. This season i feel I've graduated the "kill" and just enjoy the hunt. I said BOOM 7 times silently in my head with the bead on target. Passing on Jake's and the 7 th was last day of season. He had maybe 6 inches of beard. I either seen or heard birds almost every time out so that's success.

Gut_Pile

I would be lying if I said I didn't want to kill at least one each year. But the killing definitely doesn't define the season. I got to be a part of some cool stuff this spring, and hope to be a part of a lot more cool stuff in the future.

Thunder Head

Gone but not forgotten
I guess for me it would be playing the game.

2019 i really didnt get to play the game. Only worked birds twice i think. Didnt really work them as they flew down and headed straight to the next property. I felt short changed when it was over.

This year was awsome. After a slow start i heard tons of gobbling. Got my but kicked a few times and brought birds home too. I even hung it up early after a self imposed limit of one bird per county.

Last edited:

sowgabuckstalker

Was a great season and didnt kill a bird. First I was even luck to get to go, with all going on in the world and the fact that we had a new baby on March 6th, and a 2 year old at home, awesome wife :)

Worked a few diff birds, did hear lots of gobbling, got my butt kicked a few times, got busted a time or 2 and should have killed one but I didnt take a shot thinking he would come closer. All in all, BLESSSED, ready for next year!

Turkeytider

First season in a few that I didn't at least get one bird. A successful season to me is being in the woods. This season i feel I've graduated the "kill" and just enjoy the hunt. I said BOOM 7 times silently in my head with the bead on target. Passing on Jake's and the 7 th was last day of season. He had maybe 6 inches of beard. I either seen or heard birds almost every time out so that's success.

Know what you mean, Wayne. I`ve not killed that many birds, but I`ve become "picky". I also don`t have much room for fans and feet and beards! LOL! The one bird I shot, which was the only bird I heard and the only bird I worked all season, happened to have a nice beard ( just shy of 11" ) and was a hunt I`ll always remember. Just wish I could have been in the woods more.