What would you choose?

crackerdave

Gold or ammo?
Which would you choose if you could only have one or the other?

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
I have enough bullets to get me through anything that I would be able to survive at my age and in my condition. I will take gold and put it in a place where my grandkids can find it so that if they have to restart later they might have a leg up.

tr21

I have enough bullets to get me through anything that I would be able to survive at my age and in my condition. I will take gold and put it in a place where my grandkids can find it so that if they have to restart later they might have a leg up.
so tell me just what makes gold so valuable ? I used to day trade between $50k - 100k in gold stocks and options ! I ask many traders just what makes it so valuable, the answer was always "IT'S GOLD" ! to me it's a shinny metal ya can't eat it and you cant burn it to stay warm. It's really no different than tulips other than it doesn't wilt . you take your shinny metal and I'll take a cow and firewood ! I know you say you can trade gold for it but when the person with the cow has no use for a piece of shinny metal he'll keep his cow instead !

ddgarcia

Mr Non-Libertaw Got To Be Done My Way
so tell me just what makes gold so valuable ? I used to day trade between $50k - 100k in gold stocks and options ! I ask many traders just what makes it so valuable, the answer was always "IT'S GOLD" ! to me it's a shinny metal ya can't eat it and you cant burn it to stay warm. It's really no different than tulips other than it doesn't wilt . you take your shinny metal and I'll take a cow and firewood ! I know you say you can trade gold for it but when the person with the cow has no use for a piece of shinny metal he'll keep his cow instead !
An intrinsic value has been placed upon gold, and other soft, shiny metals, by man since its discovery centuries ago for many reasons. In the beginning because of its luster and workability and now for that and many more reasons.

And perception is reality. Whether it actually has that value for any of the reason, virtually all of mankind perceives it to be so, so it is.

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
You are correct in the short term. But gold is valuable because of it's scarcity and it's qualities of being both pretty and incorruptible. It is also fairly easy to transport making it a good trade medium. It has always had value because of these factors and, in the long term, it always will.

To use your illustration, a cow is a wonderful thing if you need a cow. But if you need something else, a cow is not such a great thing and it is not very easy to carry it somewhere to barter it away.

tr21

You are correct in the short term. But gold is valuable because of it's scarcity and it's qualities of being both pretty and incorruptible. It is also fairly easy to transport making it a good trade medium. It has always had value because of these factors and, in the long term, it always will.

To use your illustration, a cow is a wonderful thing if you need a cow. But if you need something else, a cow is not such a great thing and it is not very easy to carry it somewhere to barter it away.
I guess if ya got hungry you could always eat that gold. I guess it's no different than stock if times get really bad and your hungry and cold their worthless

ucfireman

That's exactly what I think and have for a long time.
People put value on things that are good for nothing other than looks or entertainment. I used to.
At the end of the day, I only need things I can eat, drink or stay warm or dry.
That said, Ill take the ammo.

basshappy

BANNED
Ammo. More versatile than gold and easier to barter with than gold.

The value of gold, real or perceived, is what removes it from my barter and sale systems. For every 1 person who will buy or trade for 1 ounce of gold there are hundreds of people who will buy or trade for 1 box of ammo.

Now if you had said ammo or SILVER, well, I would still pick ammo, but silver in my opinion is much easier to sell and barter with than gold - due to spot value being way more affordable to many more people.

ddgarcia

Mr Non-Libertaw Got To Be Done My Way
Ammo. More versatile than gold and easier to barter with than gold.

The value of gold, real or perceived, is what removes it from my barter and sale systems. For every 1 person who will buy or trade for 1 ounce of gold there are hundreds of people who will buy or trade for 1 box of ammo.

Now if you had said ammo or SILVER, well, I would still pick ammo, but silver in my opinion is much easier to sell and barter with than gold - due to spot value being way more affordable to many more people.
The "value" is no different. It simply takes less gold to make the value of silver.

Yes, silver more closely resembles our current, worthless paper currency due to its lower perceived value per "X" quantity, but you simply deal in smaller quantities with gold.

As for ammo as a means of barter, the same problem applies as with ANY barter item. You can bring me all the 30.06 or 6.5CM you want, but I couldn't care less as I have no weapon that will shoot either. And I wouldn't take them in a "fair" trade in the hopes that the next guy will have/want/need said calibers.

basshappy

BANNED
The "value" is no different. It simply takes less gold to make the value of silver.

Yes, silver more closely resembles our current, worthless paper currency due to its lower perceived value per "X" quantity, but you simply deal in smaller quantities with gold.

As for ammo as a means of barter, the same problem applies as with ANY barter item. You can bring me all the 30.06 or 6.5CM you want, but I couldn't care less as I have no weapon that will shoot either. And I wouldn't take them in a "fair" trade in the hopes that the next guy will have/want/need said calibers.

Every gram or ounce of gold I have moved has been more difficult than every ounce of silver. And I mean such a pain I stopped acquiring gold because the work to move it is more than I want to do. I attribute this to the value of each, and more people having the money for silver versus gold. Very easy to sell or trade silver, the marker is much wider and deeper.

Bartering ammo is easy if your ammo is of a common caliber. 9mm, 45, 223, 22lr, etc. These are easy to move compared to the oddball calibers - .41 mag, 5.7x28, etc.

If considering ammo or gold as an investment, I say ammo is more highly liquid than gold.