If you could only have one vehicle…

normaldave

GON Weatherman
"When you can't have just one..."
2001, 2002, or 2006, Mitsubishi Montero Limited 4wd, & 2003 Montero Sport Limited 2wd. (Wife's truck).
"Frugal man's Land Cruiser". Locking center diff, 4.30 ltd. slip hybrid rear diff, 5-speed select shift auto, low range gearbox, 5K tow rating, 4-wheel independent suspension. Leather 7 passenger seating, front/rear heat and A/C, etc.

Requires an owner who knows how to turn a wrench, speaks fluent Mitsubishi, and has a penchant for occasional mechanical self torture. :hammers:. Have to remove a zero from the $ 50K entry point.

To be fair, since this picture was taken, a couple months back, my 2002 daily driver was sold to my son to transport his young family around.
DSC_0021.JPG

jdgator

It's hard to beat the reliability and longevity of some of those Toyota's. If I couldn't have a Toyota, I'd pick a 2 wheel drive Jeep Cherokee with the old 4.0 liter straight 6 motor because you can get 350,000+ miles out of them.
If it had to be a car, I'd pick something with the old Buick 3800 V6 because they'll go 350,000+ miles too.

My mom has a Cherokee like you describe. Won’t part with it though she has another vehicle.

sinclair1

I ordered the 2023 to get the last v6 Tacoma made. All 4 cylinder turbos from here on.
It looks like Nissan is keeping the V6 in 2024.

The Original Rooster

Mayor of Spring Hill
My mom has a Cherokee like you describe. Won’t part with it though she has another vehicle.
We had one for nearly 300,000 miles until we sold it to a lady at church who wanted something to run around town in, and she's still running around town in it!

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
I’m surprised he didn’t want a turbo diesel
the only reason I wouldn't want a diesel is that they are more trouble to work on when something goes haywire. With a 454, there are millions of parts available from lots of different places, and it doesn't take special tools to work on them.

In a perfect world, a pre 2001 Dodge 3500 4X4 Cummins, with a NV4500 would be a great truck too

Big7

The Oracle
It's hard to beat the reliability and longevity of some of those Toyota's. If I couldn't have a Toyota, I'd pick a 2 wheel drive Jeep Cherokee with the old 4.0 liter straight 6 motor because you can get 350,000+ miles out of them.
If it had to be a car, I'd pick something with the old Buick 3800 V6 because they'll go 350,000+ miles too.
I've had 2 of those Cherokees myself and me and wife #2 had one together.

That straight 6 is an excellent engine with the standard six quart oil pan. When you drive the wheels off, so to speak, that engine will be there in the end. Keep the oil changed and that's about it.

The old straight Cheby' 250ci was another great engine.

Big7

The Oracle
I always had a truck and camper and/or boat to pull but now I'm thinking one of those high roof vans like a Ram ProMaster or Ford or maybe a Mercedes..

They would make a great Boondock'in Van. My little Grand Caravan is big enough for me and real good on gas but would have a real hard time sleeping 2 people.

I'm looking for a cheap way to travel for hunting and fishing and need a way to camp without dragging a bunch of stuff around.

hopper

I've had two and one 4x4. Have a 99 4.0 tj now. I do miss my 4x4 XJ. Out of curiosity why would you prefer 2wd?

Last edited:

hopper

I'd have to think about it but I do know I couldn't live without a truck. Since I'm not really working like I use to and I couldn't keep my Jeep I would most likely downsize from the f250. Would seriously consider Toyota Tacoma or Tundra 4x4 of course.

Geffellz18

Most likely an early 2000’s Toyota 4-Runner with the V-8, Sequoia, or Tundra crew cab 4x4 of course if just one vehicle could be had. Any of those would probably do more for my individual needs & interests than I can possibly think of.

Redbow

I will just keep my old Chevy Silverado '86 year model. Its the only vehicle I have right now. Needs a tranny rebuild but a transmission shop told me that the kits to rebuild the tranny are now coming with chinese parts that won't last very long.

My Wife has a 2019 Nissan Rogue, she loves it the SUV gets up to 38 MPG at times on a trip, can't beat that. Yeah its a 4 banger but has plenty of power for her.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
For a daily driver the Frontier or Tacoma are good trucks. I have a 2016 Pro4X with the six it does what I need to do. When I pulled big equipment on an acreage a 1999 2500 with the Cummins got it done.

transfixer

A 2017 or older 1/2 ton Silverado or Sierra.
5.3 engine, 4wd auto transmission extended cab.
It wouldn’t cost 50k but I would spend a lot of the left over to have the engine and transmission gone through and maybe rebuilt.
Maybe a paint job, if needed, and other such stuff to fix it up.
As long as parts stay available I could drive it forever.

I agree , with a couple of tweaks though, after owning both the 5.3 and the 6.0 I'd opt for the 6.0 because of power, and I prefer the 3/4 ton version simply because of ability to handle heavy loads, 4wd is a no brainer, a 2wd pickup is useless to me,

If I weren't concerned with carrying heavy loads or pulling heavy loads I would go with a Tacoma though, but they can't compete with full size trucks when it comes to towing