If you could only have one vehicle…

jdgator

Suppose you could only have one vehicle to do everything you need to do and it had to be less than $50,000. What would it be?

Lilly001

A 2017 or older 1/2 ton Silverado or Sierra.
5.3 engine, 4wd auto transmission extended cab.
It wouldn’t cost 50k but I would spend a lot of the left over to have the engine and transmission gone through and maybe rebuilt.
Maybe a paint job, if needed, and other such stuff to fix it up.
As long as parts stay available I could drive it forever.

The Original Rooster

Mayor of Spring Hill
It's hard to beat the reliability and longevity of some of those Toyota's. If I couldn't have a Toyota, I'd pick a 2 wheel drive Jeep Cherokee with the old 4.0 liter straight 6 motor because you can get 350,000+ miles out of them.
If it had to be a car, I'd pick something with the old Buick 3800 V6 because they'll go 350,000+ miles too.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Nissan Frontier. My first one ran 300k and was still running good and still had the original starter, alternator, and everything else except brakes and batteries.

GeorgiaBob

Used pickup. Preferably a restored crew cab with a rebuilt 1995 or older diesel, lacking a turbocharger. If it also lacked other modern electronics and the idiot lights were replaced by mechanical or wired gauges, that would be good too.

ChidJ

probably what I've got. 2014 Ram 3500. Might get as new as I could get until it gets to 2018.... then stop. Nothing newer, not that you could find something newer for less than 50 haha. How y'all gonna pull your trailers and equipment with tacos?

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
probably what I've got. 2014 Ram 3500. Might get as new as I could get until it gets to 2018.... then stop. Nothing newer, not that you could find something newer for less than 50 haha. How y'all gonna pull your trailers and equipment with tacos?

I pull a 20 foot Express bay boat with mine and it does just fine. Stops good with it too.

sinclair1

I only pull bassbosts and utility trailers so the taco works. I have friends for those heavy loads.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Biggest trailer I personally have is a 16' aluminum bassboat. My Nissan will yank it down the road at 100mph if I wanted to. And won't be broke down like the Dodge.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
I pull a 10k lb tractor on a 3 axle trailer pretty regular, and a 12k lb tracked compact loader about the same amount. And when you load 15 rolls of hay on that trailer, it can go >12k lbs, so those little 1/2 tons won't work for me. I need at a minimum a 3/4 ton 4x4, and even better a 1 ton 4x4. Those square body Chevys look good, and the 454 is a proven engine that I can work on it needed.

mrs. hornet22

Beach Dreamer
Vehicles will never get that kinda of $ out of me. H22 doesn't agree. If it will will take me to and from from work, that all I need. But I'm a girl what do I know. I would love to see H22 in a fancy Tundra, but I aint contributing $ to it. :bounce: His 1998 GMC Z71 Sierra truck does us fine. 1 hundred three thousand miles on it. :clap:

Last edited:

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I pull a 10k lb tractor on a 3 axle trailer pretty regular, and a 12k lb tracked compact loader about the same amount. And when you load 15 rolls of hay on that trailer, it can go >12k lbs, so those little 1/2 tons won't work for me. I need at a minimum a 3/4 ton 4x4, and even better a 1 ton 4x4. Those square body Chevys look good, and the 454 is a proven engine that I can work on it needed.
If I had all that to pull, I would go with something bigger. I pull that stuff at work, but not at home any more.