"why I don't hunt anymore"

LittleDrummerBoy

Speckled trout and black drum...come on man, thats a no brainer!! Trout wins!

Most folks who eschew the black drum have not eaten many of them.

But once you go black, you never throw back!

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Most folks who eschew the black drum have not eaten many of them.

But once you go black, you never throw back!
Those big, chewy parasitic worms in the flesh are the best part. :bounce:

A big black drum is sure fun to hook into.

GottaGetOutdoors

I’m at my AL lease at this moment. Been up since 0500. Sipping coffee and getting equipment ready to plant. I love every aspect of deer hunting including all the work leading up to deer season. It is my dirt therapy. And it’s cheaper than counseling and medications. Hunting is my lifestyle. Proud to wear that tag.

Beenslayin

I quit hunting two years ago. I lost some hunting property that I hunted for 12 years. I then joined a high dollar club only to discover that just about every inch was claimed by other hunters. On the night before opening day of gun season I could smell the strong odor of weed and one guy proclaiming he was going to kick another member’s rear end. I joined another club and found fresh corn everywhere when hunting (it was not legal at the time). I admit I am OCD and easily bothered by people not following the rules. My son passed away that year so I just didn’t want to deal with all the aggravation. I bought a boat and fish electric only lakes now. In summary, hunting turned into more of a pain than it was worth. It seems there are still a lot of good folks hunting but there is always one or two who ruin the experience for me. It was hard to leave it after hunting for 42 years, but now I can at least take my grandkids fishing. Just my two cents.

broncos

I wander how long it will be before he stops fishing? I see just as many "tricked out trucks" with fishing stickers in the back window pulling high dollar boats and seems to be fishing has gone the way of the trophy fish. Seems like he just wants to bash hunters, not that I am bashing fisherman I hunt and fish. I feel as long as you abide by the laws set for us and you not hurting anyone you should do what makes you happy. Quitting isn't helping anyone or anything. Just tells you something about his character and he is probably bitter he has never killed a good buck lol.

Browning Slayer

Official Voice Of The Dawgs !
My son passed away that year so I just didn’t want to deal with all the aggravation.

It was hard to leave it after hunting for 42 years, but now I can at least take my grandkids fishing.

So sorry to hear that.

Keep taking those youngins!

Beenslayin

I wander how long it will be before he stops fishing? I see just as many "tricked out trucks" with fishing stickers in the back window pulling high dollar boats and seems to be fishing has gone the way of the trophy fish. Seems like he just wants to bash hunters, not that I am bashing fisherman I hunt and fish. I feel as long as you abide by the laws set for us and you not hurting anyone you should do what makes you happy. Quitting isn't helping anyone or anything. Just tells you something about his character and he is probably bitter he has never killed a good buck lol.

Beenslayin

I have plenty of good bucks on the wall. Unfortunately my biggest probably doesn’t meet the definition of big because it’s a little ole 135”. I have killed a lot of deer over the years mostly with a bow. For me hunting and fishing or anything outdoors is supposed to be relaxing. Yes there is some hard work involved but I go about it with a reverence and respect for the outdoors and others who out there. I am not bothered by big trucks and boats. I make enough to own pretty much what I would like. However as with hunting and fishing I buy what I need. It doesn’t matter to me what kind of equipment a person owns because for me it’s not a frenzied competition. Go outside, enjoy it, take in the outdoors and let the creation wear away all of life’s stressors. Just my two cents.

BeerThirty

I could care less about how some writer or society tries to define me as a hunter. And I certainly ain't gonna alter my actions cuz I'm at risk of being stereotyped.

Yes, the article does touch on why there are fewer hunters out there. Problem is it's a multi-faceted problem.

Rackmaster

Political Forum Town Crier
I don’t drink or do drugs (not here to condemn anyone that does) but hunting and bass fishing is my drug!

Just preparing to go fishing or hunting gives me a rush and being in the woods or on the lake is something I’ll do as long as the Good Lord gives me strength to do it!

A cold morning in the woods or that chill off the lake 1st thing in the morning when your blasting off for a tournament...... now that’s a high!

It’s not a obsession it’s a passion!

Hope y’all have a GREAT season!

Last edited:

Beenslayin

I don't think having a respect for life has anything at all to do with "elitism." It just shows that you are a person with some empathy and compassion. And, you realize the hard truth that you are alive because you take the life of something that wants to be alive just as much as you or I. I also don't subscribe to the "dominion over the animals" concept. I think we are a part of the overall picture, no more important than any other part to anyone except ourselves.

And, yes, I do have mere respect for a wild deer that belongs here than a domestic chicken or some invasive exotic species that is destoying our environment. I have killed a lot of all three. Killing a deer brings out very different emotions in me than axing a chicken or killing a carp. Whether or not that's good or bad, that's just how it is. Respect for life extends to domestic animals, though. If you've ever spent a year raising a hog or steer, feeding it and tending to it every day, that moment when you're standing there with the .22 and a bead between its eyes isn't easy; even though you know that's the way it works and that you and your family rely on this meat.

I will not apologize to anyone for respecting the life of animals and honoring their death at my hands with some respect. If that makes me some kind of "elitist" in your eyes, so be it. But nothing makes me more nauseous than watching one of those hunting shows where the feller shoots a deer and starts hollering "I smoked him!" at the top of his lungs, dances a jig, and then goes over there to where it's laying and hollers some antler number and keeps carrying on and doesn't even notice or give a flying durn about the dead deer under the antlers. I'm just wired up differently than you, I guess.
Smoked him, took dirt nap etc... totally turns me off. It blows away any spiritual connections to being part of this cycle of life. Being thankful to whomever created this wonderful creature and thanking the creature for its sacrifice is how I show my respect for the animals. I don’t take killing an animal lightly. I too raised hogs and chickens. I never mistreated them nor showed them anything other than care and compassion. Yes we still carried out the butchering, but with great care to ensure their wasn’t any suffering. My focus was always take care of the animal completely first then celebrate the harvest later. It’s more of a reverent celebration. A celebration of thankfulness. It keeps me well grounded and allows me to feel my connection to this earth. It definitely isn’t a thing to turn into a spectacle. Just my two cents.

broncos

Beenslayin I wasnt referring to what you had wrote I was talking bout who wrote the article that started this thread. I personally believe to each his own.

Major Wader

We hunt, and we eat the deer that we shoot.

I could not possibly care less what the writer of the article thinks about me, my friends, or anything about us. I did read the article, and it certainly seems that he is ashamed of his roots.

For that, I pity him. I come from good Southern farmstock. I was the first on either side of my family to graduate from college, and I have busted my hump for most of my life to get where I am. I never saw either of my grandfathers, or any of my other relatives, treat any man or woman differently because of the color of their skin. I absolutely have seen them judge others of all colors based on their willingness to work.

Rackmaster

Political Forum Town Crier
You could probably same some money if you took up drinking and drugs and going to the shoe show instead of hunting and fishing.

Also bass fishing doesnt seem bad but it is like the “gateway” fishing. If you aren’t careful it will lead to striper fishing and then saltwater and Then it’s all over
You are probably correct, I am a die hard bass fisherman and I love fishing tournaments and it is very addictive. Luckily my wife supports all I do, she knew it before she married me and encourages me still after 17 yrs of marriage.

RedHills

Self Banned after losing a Noles bet.
The writer could have injected any geographic area of the Country, to serve his purpose and narrative.

Those guys he boasts of....Transcendentalists. In theory, I'm not sure anyone would have much of a beef with them:

A core belief of transcendentalism is in the inherent goodness of people and nature. Adherents believe that society and its institutions have corrupted the purity of the individual, and they have faith that people are at their best when truly "self-reliant" and independent.

His writing was just a new twist of what Emerson and Thoreau did a long time ago....a rather poor resemblance at that.

Jack Ryan

Soon as the money grubbers figured out how to make the first nickle off hunting, it was doomed to what it has become today.