Amazing live band performances

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Rossington did OK too :biggrin3:

Steve Gaines looks like he’s just glad to be there rocking
I think you're confusing who's running around and jumping more with who's actually laying down the guitar licks that you're hearing. :)
All of them were phenomenal guitar players whose styles meshed perfectly with each other's playing. Steve Gaines was a true prodigy. Great player, singer, and songwriter. It was a true shame that he died before we got to see more of what he could do.

westcobbdog

This whole performance that I’ve seen is absolutely stunning. I think this is my favorite song from this concert.
Allen Collins ripped the guts out of that guitar and slung it into the crowd

Collins jumped off his bike and climbed a tree to escape the bully looking for him...Ronnie Vansant. That's partly how Leonard Skynard started. Also later Collins' girlfriend one day said " if I leave here tomorrow, would you still remember me?" Result is Freebird, for me a top 5 all time song....

Danuwoa

Redneck Emperor
. This wasn’t the exact performance I wanted but the one I did want is only available in audio format on the Youtubes. This one is still very good. During the early and mid 2000s there was not a better live band.

Danuwoa

Redneck Emperor
I think you're confusing who's running around and jumping more with who's actually laying down the guitar licks that you're hearing. :)
All of them were phenomenal guitar players whose styles meshed perfectly with each other's playing. Steve Gaines was a true prodigy. Great player, singer, and songwriter. It was a true shame that he died before we got to see more of what he could do.
Alan Collins was my personal favorite of the three but Gary owns this and it ain’t hard to tell.

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
I guess Allen should have sat this one out

doenightmare

Gone But Not Forgotten
Lonely Road Of Faith _ my man Kid Rock.

<iframe width="697" height="523" src="
" title="Kid Rock - Lonely Road Of Faith [Video].VOB" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
One of the most underrated artist of our time.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I guess Allen should have sat this one out
Nope, then there wouldn't have been any rhythm behind Gary. :bounce:
Allen laid it down hard and heavy on plenty of songs. He was a great player. The whole end of Freebird was Allen. Gary did the slide on the verses, but the two-hour jam at the end was almost all Allen.

Big7

The Oracle

Go Big Or Go Home

Sargent

I saw this live at the Omni in Atlanta (Dec 1987). Probably the best concert I've ever been to.

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
Steve Gaines is the best guitarist they ever had.
Past or present.
Everybody else is all serious looking and Steve’s just jammin :biggrin3:

Doboy Dawg

Steve Gaines is the best guitarist they ever had.
Past or present.
Allen Collins was the best guitarist Skynyrd ever had hands down. He survived the plane crash but never could beat the dope and liquor.

He got banged up pretty bad in a speed boat accident. He recovered from that. A few years later he was paralyzed in a auto accident, he went downhill quickly after that.

Personally I don’t think he ever recovered from losing Ronnie, Steve, and Cassie.

Last edited:

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
Allen Collins was the best guitarist Skynyrd ever had hands down. He survived the plane crash but never could beat the dope and liquor.

He got banged up pretty bad in a speed boat accident. He recovered from that. A few years later he was paralyzed in a auto accident, he went downhill quickly after that.

Personally I don’t think he ever recovered from losing Ronnie, Steve, and Cassie.
If you look at the “gimme three steps” video I posted his face is WHITE.

Doboy Dawg

If you look at the “gimme three steps” video I posted his face is WHITE.
I grew up on the Westside of Jacksonville. Allen lived four houses down from me on our street. Ronnie’s brother Donnie lived across the highway Blanding Blvd.

When I was a kid I saw them practice in Allen’s friends garage. First time I heard them I knew those guys were going big time. They played the bar scene then. I was too young for that.

I got to see .38 Special and Molly Hatchet play at the Still and at the Jug. My cousin Jackson Spires played for Blackfoot. I left Jax for good in 82.