Snakeboots or Not?

swamp hunter

They've been trying all kinds of ways to get rid of the Pythons..
Ain't happening their moving into the entire southern part of the State ,seem to mostly only come out at night and not many folks walking the swamps late at night.
One 15 footer can have lot's of babies...lot's..

NugeForPres

I never go into the woods without snake boots or gaiters. The cost of a quality pair of either is cheap compared to a hospital stay and all that goes with it. YMMV.

kingfish

Had a buddy of mines wife get hit on the hand reaching for washing machine detergent in the garage. 12 vials of anti venom at 11 thousand dollars per vial is what it took to save her life. Massive tissue damage to her hand and arm. I've been hit 4 times by moccasins wearing both boots and chaps while scouting, one got it's fang tangled in my boot lace. Not going to roll the dice

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Had a buddy of mines wife get hit on the hand reaching for washing machine detergent in the garage. 12 vials of anti venom at 11 thousand dollars per vial is what it took to save her life. Massive tissue damage to her hand and arm. I've been hit 4 times by moccasins wearing both boots and chaps while scouting, one got it's fang tangled in my boot lace. Not going to roll the dice

That`s one of the reasons I quit catching and selling rattlesnakes. The extremely high cost of the treatments, which can be astronomical, tissue, organ, and nerve damage that can affect you for the rest of your life, stress on your family, plus the arthritis that has about crippled me so I don`t trust my grip anymore. A big rattlesnake is stronger than you realize when you have it in your hands.

I used to not worry about dying from a bite, but at my age now it`s not worth the risk anymore and a hot bite is probably something I wouldn`t recover from now. I`m in the woods and swamps a lot, more than most folks on average, and if it`s not really cold, I wear those Chippewa boots.

Deer Fanatic

Cool ? Useless Billy Deer Guide
I guess I'm in the minority here. I have lived in south Ga. my whole life and have never owned a pair of snake boots. My wife fusses at me all the time because I'm bad to walk trough my pines in the summer time with only shorts and flip flops on.

Does your buddy's wife wear a welding glove when she does laundry now?

Better yet, do you wear welding gloves when you do the laundry?

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
That's the point I was making. Would snake boots have saved her? Again, most people I know who have been snakebit have been bitten while working around the house, not walking in the woods. Snake boots would have helped none of them.

turkeykirk

I’ve heard of some folks taking them to church. ?

Not at any of the churches I attend. Or would attend once when they brought out the snakes. Don’t have enough faith!:rofl:

tree cutter 08

I never had a pair till this year. They are hot but are comfortable. I don't tend to be scanning the ground as much with them on. Usually come across a rattler or 2 each year and a few copperheads. This year was the same.

Mr Bya Lungshot

BANNED LUNATIC FRINGE
Snakeboots and boots in general are similar to hunter orange.
They both apparently protect so well you’ll never know or hear all the stories of these items saving human life and limb.

If just one hunter gets shot or snakebit.
It hits the news but you might still miss it. Which one has saved you from the news and how many times so far?

I’m sure there have been a many snake strikes and near misses that people had no idea how close it really was.
Those are the ones that won’t make news.

And let’s be real about it.
If your wearing flip flops then your not walking swamps, hip high briars and brush piles in the dark.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member

shdw633

That's the point I was making. Would snake boots have saved her? Again, most people I know who have been snakebit have been bitten while working around the house, not walking in the woods. Snake boots would have helped none of them.

No they wouldn't save her, but they saved him four times from having to go through that!!

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member

8pointduck

My snake boots finally had blowouts and I am in need of a new pair. What about snake gaiters Has anyone tried them instead?

swamp hunter

Yes on the Gaiters..only way to go.
Light weight and fairly comfortable . My Pard that wears Snake boots , First thing he does when he gets back to camp is rip them off.
Dang things are Hot he's always telling me.

On a side note this Python got ran over today on my street.
Buzzards had already tore it up some so I didn't get the skin.
Bout an 8 footerDSC00236.JPGDSC00237.JPG

spencer12

I nearly stepped on a timber rattler coiled up in November while trailing a deer with my dad. It was 43 that morning.

While checking a camera one year in August I once again nearly stepped on a diamondback that was about 5' or so stretched out. She never rattled or acted aggressive and eventually crawled in a hollowed out tree. I'm sure I'd walked by that snake multiple times in that same tree.

I have had several trail cam pics over the years of timber rattlers at night crossing over. Even had some pics of both deer and the snake crossing (deer didn't seem to mind)

This year we've had a ton of rain in South Ga. More than we have had in many years. After the hurricane passed through nearly directly over us this year I went out to assess the damage. I came to my trail cam to pull the card and stepped probably a foot away from the base of the tree it was on. There was some small bushes/grass growing in front of it so I reached down to get it out of the way. There was one of the largest timber rattlers I've ever personally seen no more than 6" away from my hand. I jumped back out of the way and the snake turned slowly and went the other way. It was a very pretty timber rattler that was more of a "cream" color than dark.

A couple weeks later I stepped on a water moccasin and he sprang up with his mouth wide open about a foot away. I tried everything in my power short of killing him to get him to get out of my way because he was laying on the only entry point to my mineral sight.

I wear my snake boots. I have danner pronghorns now, but I really want a pair of chippewahs.

kingfish

Does my buddy's wife wear welding gloves when she does laundry. Seriously ? I'm going to wear snake boots when I hunt, when I scout and if the mood strikes me, when I do laundry. If I can find snake chaps that go up to my eyebrows, I'm going to use them when I scout in July because the areas I like to hunt are LOUSY with cottonmouths. You can run naked through the swamps for all I care. But if you get bit and pass away, I hope I don't see a GOFundMe request for your funeral costs. I've always heard that the good Lord takes care of those who take care of themselves and I plan on putting my best foot forward, covered by a snake boot.

Hillbilly stalker

Wearing snake boots doesn’t mean a man is afraid of snakes, he is simply taking advantage of a precaution that may save a lot of pain, agony and money

Latest posts