Snakeboots or Not?

Wearing snake boots doesn’t mean a man is afraid of snakes, he is simply taking advantage of a precaution that may save a lot of pain, agony and money

Nor does wearing a bullet proof vest mean you are afraid of guns.::ke:

There are more hunters shot than snake bit.:hair:

I'm going to spend my "Snake Boot" allowance on lottery tickets, there's a better chance of hitting that than getting bit. lol

rosewood

I wonder, if you just count the folks that go in the woods, what are their chances of getting bit? There are a lot less folks in the woods than buying lottery tickets. If you look at the number of folks on this post that have almost stepped on a snake and or had one hit their boots or gaiters, it seems the odds are actually pretty high. How many on here have been shot while hunting? Well, guess you might not be on here if you were...

I guess a lot of folks have that "it won't happen to me mentality."

Snake boots, gaiters or chaps don't just help with snakes. They help with briars and might even help if you get to close to a ornery hog. I have even used mine when using the chain saw. Not designed for that, but do provide an extra layer or protection. They have many uses. I used my old gaiters when weed eating. Since I typically cut grass with shorts on, the gaiters protect my legs from flying objects.

The gaiters I wear were less than $40. I really don't see why so many are so opposed to cheap protection.

Rosewood

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Someone above mentioned welding gloves being a possible deterrent to a hand bite. I doubt standard welding gloves would stop a fang from penetrating. Thoughts??

Tomboy Boots

Turkey Killer
I haven't read all 8 pages of replies here but Monday morning I was sure glad I was wearing my snake boots. I almost stepped on him. Look how well those colors blend in with everything around him. If I had walked up on him in the dark when I went in I would have stepped on him.hunt2.jpghunt3.jpghunt4.jpghunt5.jpghunt6.jpg

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
So there isn’t a good system yet for hand protection from snakes.
One of you young fellows ought to take this challenge as a business opportunity.

Yes, there is. Look before you reach for that dove, or any time you are in snake territory.

As for snakebite proof gloves, if you`re in a position for a snake to hit your hand or arm, chances are good that if it`s a big snake, it can also hit you in the upper body, neck, or face. Still, you can`t protect yourself from everything, but being mindful sure does help. Since your feet and lower legs are in the danger zone the most, it simply makes sense to give them the most protection.

But, it`s still a personal decision as to wear them or not.

oppthepop

I certainly wear them pretty much ALL THE TIME. My biggest encounter was with an overly large cottonmouth - it was 28 degrees and he was sunning himself on a creek bank I jumped over and didn't see him until it was too late. Thank goodness for snake boots at the time. A full load of number 5's ended his potential to ever do that again.

HughW2

I haven't read this entire thread, but remember reading GAdestroyer74s thread about when he got bit by a timber rattler. I don't want to go through what he had to. I will be wearing snake boots most of the season from now on. That hospital bill posted by Nic only reinforces the motivation.

I wonder, if you just count the folks that go in the woods, what are their chances of getting bit? There are a lot less folks in the woods than buying lottery tickets. If you look at the number of folks on this post that have almost stepped on a snake and or had one hit their boots or gaiters, it seems the odds are actually pretty high. How many on here have been shot while hunting? Well, guess you might not be on here if you were...

I guess a lot of folks have that "it won't happen to me mentality."

Snake boots, gaiters or chaps don't just help with snakes. They help with briars and might even help if you get to close to a ornery hog. I have even used mine when using the chain saw. Not designed for that, but do provide an extra layer or protection. They have many uses. I used my old gaiters when weed eating. Since I typically cut grass with shorts on, the gaiters protect my legs from flying objects.

The gaiters I wear were less than $40. I really don't see why so many are so opposed to cheap protection.

Rosewood

I have often noticed that the more afraid of snakes people are, the bigger the snake is.
Seeing a snake 10 feet away means "almost getting bit" to some folks.lol

There is a much greater chance of getting SNAKE BIT in their yard or garden, than while hunting.

You should also wear the bullet proof vest at all times, just for that extra layer of protection? You can get shot buying Lotto tickets or walking the dog. :hair: lol

I don't wear them, because I like living life on the edge. lol

GLS

Classic Southern Gentleman
Billy and friends ran into this medium sized diamondback hunting quail Saturday. With temps in the 60s he wasn't hugging ground near a hole basking, but buzzing away on a woods' road shoulder after another man got a little too close. A larger one was killed a few days before near the landowner's house on the same property. With night temps in the 60s and daytime highs in the mid 70s, I'm out of the woods with my dogs until a few days when winter temps roll back in.

We don't gratuitously kill rattlers for the sake of killing rattlers, but we will in places that our dogs or families could be harmed. I'm not about to pick one up and relocate one. A couple of years ago a man I know spent over a week in the hospital because he wasn't wearing snake boots early in the deer season. He climbed down the stand, was walking back to his truck when he got struck. Gil

Silver Britches

Official Sports Forum Birthday Thread Starter
I haven't read this entire thread, but remember reading GAdestroyer74s thread about when he got bit by a timber rattler. I don't want to go through what he had to. I will be wearing snake boots most of the season from now on. That hospital bill posted by Nic only reinforces the motivation.
Speaking of the ol boy, been awhile since I seen him post anything around here. Lord I hope he hasn't tried to stomp another venomous snake to death, while wearing tennis shoes, again. :eek2:

Hillbilly stalker

Good thing copperheads are so easy to spot tho huh ?
index.php

rosewood

Someone above mentioned welding gloves being a possible deterrent to a hand bite. I doubt standard welding gloves would stop a fang from penetrating. Thoughts??
Nope, not gonna stop fangs. However, any time I am relocating a non-venomous snake, I try to put on some leather gloves. Even those little teeth can make you bleed, but gloves usually solve the problem.

Non-venomous always get a pass. Venomous get a pass if they are where people normally do not go. However, if I find one in my yard, near my deer stand or near anywhere there may be kids or pets, it will be taking a dirt nap.

Rosewood

rosewood

Seems the odds of getting bit or hit by a rattle snake just keep going up on this thread.

Maybe the odds of dying haven't changed, but sure looks like snakeboots/gaiters/chaps do more good than many would like us to believe.

Rosewood

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
How he got bit was trying to stomp the snake to death. If he had left it alone, he wouldn't have gotten bit. Pretty simple.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member