Top 5 Current CFB “Coaches”

James12

Who’s your top 5 current coaches - not storied programs, but coaches….

James12

I’d put Smart above Saban if it were on overall program status, but I think Saban still is the better coach - just experience etc. But there’s also no arguing Smart at 1 either.

Beehaw

I'll roll the first grenade:

I don't think Saban is even in the top 5 of GAME DAY COACHES. No question he is the best overall head coach college football has ever seen. Probably will never be another one like him, as NIL and portal has created too many new dynamics for one coach to rule the roost.

I think Smart is the best that I have seen since Saban, but only time will tell. The way Smart has built the greatness, somewhat gradually, and building on recent success is a great recipe in anything (wealth, business, lifestyle).

Duff

I don't know who I would put 1. Kirby has came a long way in a short time. Remember his first couple of years? He really botched some calls and clock management situations. I really wondered if he would ever make a good in-game coach. He has.

mizzippi jb

Welcome back.
You have to ask yourself if some of these coaches would have the same level of success if they didn't have as much talent. So many coaches out there do more with less and those are the guys who get overlooked.
The "With Less" part, maybe. But nobody has done "more" than the likes of Saban, Smart, and Swinney since 2000.

buckpasser

Saban…then all others. Smart is the clear #2 with a pile of folks fighting for third.

BamaGeorgialine

I'll roll the first grenade:

I don't think Saban is even in the top 5 of GAME DAY COACHES. No question he is the best overall head coach college football has ever seen. Probably will never be another one like him, as NIL and portal has created too many new dynamics for one coach to rule the roost.

I think Smart is the best that I have seen since Saban, but only time will tell. The way Smart has built the greatness, somewhat gradually, and building on recent success is a great recipe in anything (wealth, business, lifestyle).
I know that Kirby has a losing record against Saban and the one win was a do over from the SEC Championship game, so which one was a better game day coach? Totally agree with your NIL point. When it comes to comparisons, I think that there are so many variables that it is really opinions and impossible to nail one down. People are going to compare first five years of records and that's not comparable either. Not many coaches first head coaching gig is at UGA. Smart walked into a fantastic situation and has done a fantastic job. The longer he stays at UGA the tougher it'll get. He's going to lose more coaches more often. Gotta get the quarterback thing down now that there's a new kid in town and the old man is going in the 4th round of the draft. I can see more teams having a three of four year run more often now. I don't think that you can put Smart first and be wrong. He's going to win a few more championships. There's just a lot of variables

brownceluse

@James12 I agree to a point. But, until his teams aren’t in the conversation then he’s still in the semi elite category to me. Ohio State is always in the conversation every year. Kirby put UGA in the conversation and finished the drill. Ohio State was one kick away from throttling TCU just like the Dawgs did. They would have too! Day ain’t no joke. They gave us everything we could handle physically and talent wise. Thank God they missed the kick. Go Dawgs!

MudDucker

Staff member
If it weren’t for Fake Punt with Fields still in memory, Kirby would have more of my vote.

Did you watch the replays? The play would have worked if Fields hadn't got happy feet and started running. The receiver broke open for an easy over the middle first down, but Justin aka happy feet, had just run into the line.