Top 5 Current CFB “Coaches”

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
Saban before Bryant, sorry. Bryant was a leader for sure, but he coached in an era where there were no limits on scholarships.

No way, he got the most out of his players. No limit scholarships vs NIL, you must be kidding.

James12

No way, he got the most out of his players. No limit scholarships vs NIL, you must be kidding.

Saban’s statue and success was accumulated pre-NIL too. I love hearing and reading stories on Bryant, I just think Saban has done it in a more competitive era. In all fairness I wasn’t “around” in Bryant’s era.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
Saban’s statue and success was accumulated pre-NIL too. I love hearing and reading stories on Bryant, I just think Saban has done it in a more competitive era. In all fairness I wasn’t “around” in Bryant’s era.
I was and Coach Bryant did amazing things with the resources available.

Browning Slayer

Official Voice Of The Dawgs !
If it’s greatest coaches ever it’s

Bryant
Saban

fill in with your fav team.
But it's not. It's top 5 right now. as is, today.. Not sumteen rangs ago.. nor 1980.

RIGHT NOW BABY!!!

rgdkn0n4nh1efqyknbao.jpg

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
But it's not. It's top 5 right now. as is, today.. Not sumteen rangs ago.. nor 1980.

RIGHT NOW BABY!!!

rgdkn0n4nh1efqyknbao.jpg
You know I like Kirby, great coach, he will continue to do great things for UGA. We’ll see what he accomplishes over decades.

Browning Slayer

Official Voice Of The Dawgs !
You know I like Kirby, great coach, he will continue to do great things for UGA. We’ll see what he accomplishes over decades.
In "decades"... Saban will be dead. And not current... ::ke: :bounce:

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
In "decades"... Saban will be dead. And not current... ::ke: :bounce:
We were talking about Kirby, what his final record will look like.

He has the potential to go far.

SpotandStalk

If the question is "best 5 coaches EVER" I agree 100%. Saban is easily the GOAT.

But being the thread is best 5 CURRENT coaches, CKS is easily in the conversation. Current looks at a smaller window of where the program is and its current trajectory.
“Current” could also be read as a coach who is actively coaching.

Never said Kirby wasn’t in the conversation but he’s definitely not #1 of active coaches at this point. For now it’s Saban and everyone else.

Madsnooker

Since yall brought up Day I will jump in. Saban then Kirby at the top as of now but I do have Day third. I'm very glad he is OSUs coach after Meyer. He's young and this is his first gig as a head coach. He's learning on the job just like Kirby did. And don't forget, he throttled Dabo in the playoffs and yes lost to Bama in the title game after half his starters were out becuase of stupid protocol. They weren't beating Bama anyway but that's not a mark against Days coaching ability. His coaching ability was on display a couple weeks earlier against Dabo at full strength. That game wasn't close and Clemson was loaded that year with NFL talent all over the place.
And lastly, how different the narrative is right now if Harrison continues to play instead of getting hurt. He and OSUs offense was unstopable up until then and still drive the field to miss that field goal. If that kick is made Day has a NC under his belt and like I said the narrative is totally different today.

I will say this about Kirby, could he do what Day has done if he was at OSU? Kirby benefits greatly becuase of his proximity to the best talent in the country. If Day was at UGA I think he could absolutely do what Kirby has done. Again just something to ponder. I really like Krby and he's great for UGA I'm just not sure it's all becuase of his x's and o's. He very well may be the second best but I don't think it's clear yet. Botrom.line is he has won btb nattys and that's an awesome feat that can't be overlooked.

John Cooper

?Now I Got One A Them Banner Things
1. Saban , could he have done what's he's done at Bama anywhere else, not sure because Bama recruits itself, and basically he was a one and done at LSU when he flew the coup.

2. Kirby
3. Dabo
4. Hairball cause he has beat tOsU twice in a row now.
5. U pick

Swamprat

Swamprat
Saban
Smart
Kelly
Day
and for my final just for the buzz he can create is Deion.

Coaches who have done more with less would probably be at least 4 SEC coaches..... Beamer, Pittman, Huepel, and Stoops.

Jimbo the clown is overrated and Venables is way over his head.

Lincoln Riley might get USC back to prominence.

Hairball is just that, lifetime middle of the packer

James12

Since yall brought up Day I will jump in. Saban then Kirby at the top as of now but I do have Day third. I'm very glad he is OSUs coach after Meyer. He's young and this is his first gig as a head coach. He's learning on the job just like Kirby did. And don't forget, he throttled Dabo in the playoffs and yes lost to Bama in the title game after half his starters were out becuase of stupid protocol. They weren't beating Bama anyway but that's not a mark against Days coaching ability. His coaching ability was on display a couple weeks earlier against Dabo at full strength. That game wasn't close and Clemson was loaded that year with NFL talent all over the place.
And lastly, how different the narrative is right now if Harrison continues to play instead of getting hurt. He and OSUs offense was unstopable up until then and still drive the field to miss that field goal. If that kick is made Day has a NC under his belt and like I said the narrative is totally different today.

I will say this about Kirby, could he do what Day has done if he was at OSU? Kirby benefits greatly becuase of his proximity to the best talent in the country. If Day was at UGA I think he could absolutely do what Kirby has done. Again just something to ponder. I really like Krby and he's great for UGA I'm just not sure it's all becuase of his x's and o's. He very well may be the second best but I don't think it's clear yet. Botrom.line is he has won btb nattys and that's an awesome feat that can't be overlooked.

You had me Snook, until the “could Kirby do what Day has done at OSU”. I think he could, and so could some others - and not throwing shade but based on the conference alone. While Kirby has benefited from the weakest the SEC East has been in years, he’s still doing it in the SEC - and OSU has been getting talent for years. You make great points too about being a kick away from a different discussion.

mizzippi jb

Welcome back.

So how could Smart not do what Day has done at OSU? Y'all obviously have at least as much talent on the roster at osu, you could actually claim to have more by looking at alumni in the NFL. So yeah to me Day is working with the talent, he's just where Kirby was in 2017 and it's yet to be seen if he'll get over that hurdle. Kirby kicked the hurdle over and peed on it, then burned it.

Gutbucket

I would like to see a breakdown of Saban's record with Kirby on staff vs his record without. How successful was Saban before Kirby got there to Recruit and coach?? I don't have an answer... I'm just curious. Can we agree that Kirby is responsible for at least part of Sabans success???

BamaGeorgialine

I would like to see a breakdown of Saban's record with Kirby on staff vs his record without. How successful was Saban before Kirby got there to Recruit and coach?? I don't have an answer... I'm just curious. Can we agree that Kirby is responsible for at least part of Sabans success???
Sure we can. Why not?

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
#1 rule of successful managers any where, surround yourself with talented people. Those relationships were mutually beneficial, those guys got HC jobs after working at Bama.

James12

#1 rule of successful managers any where, surround yourself with talented people. Those relationships were mutually beneficial, those guys got HC jobs after working at Bama.

Great sermon for our Sunday sir. Leaders grow leaders.

MudDucker

Staff member
So how could Smart not do what Day has done at OSU? Y'all obviously have at least as much talent on the roster at osu, you could actually claim to have more by looking at alumni in the NFL. So yeah to me Day is working with the talent, he's just where Kirby was in 2017 and it's yet to be seen if he'll get over that hurdle. Kirby kicked the hurdle over and peed on it, then burned it.

‘They do claim to have more talent each spring and then the season happens.

Madsnooker

Mizz JB, Actually the seasons have went just fine with OSU in the playoffs more times then not but Day has to get over the hump as James said. Jb you do realize Day was a kick away from being a NC coach in his first 4 years of being a head coach with only 5 loses in those years. Can you let me know all the other coaches that have been that close in their first 4 years of head coaching experience? It's really amazing how close Days start as a head coach mirror's Kirbys. There are Buckeye fans whining about Day just like many pup fans did about Kirby in his first 4 to 6 years. Many right here posting in this thread. Lol
And James, I do agree with you I was only giving food for thought.