Top 5 Current CFB “Coaches”

Browning Slayer

Official Voice Of The Dawgs !
If it weren’t for Fake Punt with Fields still in memory, Kirby would have more of my vote.
So, Back To Back Nattys doesn't do it for ya? :rofl:

James12

Did you watch the replays? The play would have worked if Fields hadn't got happy feet and started running. The receiver broke open for an easy over the middle first down, but Justin aka happy feet, had just run into the line.

It was just too obvious when you send Justin Fields out for a punt.

Browning Slayer

Official Voice Of The Dawgs !
Not me no haha!
It sure does for me. And there’s not a single person that wouldn’t want Kirby Smart running their program. That right there is the answer to your original question. Who’s the #1 coach in college football right now? The one that has won back to back Nattys. There are plenty of Bama fans that would love to have Kirby. There’s no Dawg that would trade Kirby for the old man Saban. That ship has sailed!

James12

It sure does for me. And there’s not a single person that wouldn’t want Kirby Smart running their program. That right there is the answer to your original question. Who’s the #1 coach in college football right now? The one that has won back to back Nattys. There are plenty of Bama fans that would love to have Kirby. There’s no Dawg that would trade Kirby for the old man Saban. That ship has sailed!

Homer :)

mizzippi jb

Welcome back.
Thats why I answered the way I did. Current means "right now.". Smart has been the best by my definition of current. Recent history.... Yep, old Saban is the goat. But Kirby wears the "right now" crown for having won 2 and having been there and learned for the 1st one.

Tight Lines

I'd rank them this way:

1. Saban - the Goat...and I bet he makes the 300 win club then retires...
2. Smart - 2 Natty's into the Goat's legacy...and if he keeps coaching will make the 300 win club...easily...
3. Swinney - no arguing what he has done at Clemson...distant 3rd to the 2 above...
4. Fickell - building a program...
5. Riley - interested to see what he does at USC...
6. Wild Card: Sanders - I think he will be someone to beat in the next 3-5 years at Colorado

Personally, and this is just me, I don't think Day, Kelly, Harbaugh are as good as Fickell and Riley...and maybe Sanders...but they are younger and less proven, though on the right track...the next few years will be telling...

Kirby and the Dawgs will be the program to beat for the next decade if Kirby can keep the recruiting engine cranked...

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
Saban
Smart
The rest of Saban’s assistants now HC.

James12

I think Harbaugh without a doubt has more than proven he’s Top 5. Fickell has won at Cincinnati and may go to the next level with Wisconsin, but that hasn’t happened yet. As much as I like Prime as a leader, he’s got to prove it too.

Tight Lines

Don't disagree, which is why I caveated it...however, after #1 and #2 it's kind of academic...the rest are all in a tight bunch behind the Top 2!

Duff

Kelly must be a good coach. I thought he would be a round peg in a square hole. They actually had a decent year. It will be interesting to see how he does in a couple of years when his own recruits get a little experience

TinKnocker

You have to ask yourself if some of these coaches would have the same level of success if they didn't have as much talent. So many coaches out there do more with less and those are the guys who get overlooked.
Imagine if those guys doing more with less could actually recruit.

FWIW, I am pretty sure recruiting is part of the job. So it's only fair to factor recruiting ability into the equation.

ddgarcia

Mr Non-Libertaw Got To Be Done My Way
FWIW, I am pretty sure recruiting is part of the job. So it's only fair to factor recruiting ability into the equation.
Recruiting is tough at best outside of a handful of the top programs we can all name. #1 on most of the top recruits lists is win a Championship, and being honest, how many programs have a realistic shot at that year in and out? 10 MAYBE? And even that may be on the high end. Then you have another maybe 10 that have a shot like LSU at "catching lightning in a bottle" and getting all the breaks. But where have they been since. Next, as we all know, comes NIL. What team can afford to buy them. Only a handful can afford more than one top recruit and they are many of the same mentioned in the Championship chase.

Some of these guys probably are great recruiters, and in years past may have thrived, but in today's environment just can't offer these top prospects enough.

SpotandStalk

I think folks are forgetting just how much success Saban has had. Kirby has won back to back but until he has multiple former assistants win the natty he’ll be a distant second to the goat

TinKnocker

I think folks are forgetting just how much success Saban has had. Kirby has won back to back but until he has multiple former assistants win the natty he’ll be a distant second to the goat
If the question is "best 5 coaches EVER" I agree 100%. Saban is easily the GOAT.

But being the thread is best 5 CURRENT coaches, CKS is easily in the conversation. Current looks at a smaller window of where the program is and it's current trajectory.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
If it’s greatest coaches ever it’s

Bryant
Saban

fill in with your fav team.

James12

If it’s greatest coaches ever it’s

Bryant
Saban

fill in with your fav team.

Saban before Bryant, sorry. Bryant was a leader for sure, but he coached in an era where there were no limits on scholarships.