1. 3 January 21 / 2345 hrs.
2. 1 Hunter
3. 220 Swift w/ thermal
4. Barrow County pasture with cows and a overgrown pasture no cows
5. Dark light to no wind heavy frost
6. 2 heard
7. 2 seen
8. 0 killed

Today was the day the rain stopped, and the wind laid down and it was dark and cold, perfect. First set produced zero not even a distant howl. Second set was a bust until I picked up my call and I had two start yipping and howling I was halfway back to the truck. I stopped and put the call down and hoped for the best, batteries were dying when I picked the call up. I set the call down and backed up hopping to have a crosswind and some sort of a clear shot. Played death cries a bit and cut the call off, and sure enough had a pair show up but they had cover between us, I finally got a shot and missed. The third set is a favorite, it over looks an old barn and overgrown pasture with junk cars and trash piles. I set up on the edge of an old cemetery that has Confederate Veterans buried in it I have killed more than a few yotes at this location, but last night was a nonproductive night at the graveyard.

Last edited:

DustyRoads

1. 3 January 21 / 2345 hrs.
2. 1 Hunter
3. 220 Swift w/ thermal
4. Barrow County pasture with cows and a overgrown pasture no cows
5. Dark light to no wind heavy frost
6. 2 heard
7. 2 seen
8. 0 killed

Today was the day the rain stopped, and the wind laid down and it was dark and cold, perfect. First set produced zero not even a distant howl. Second set was a bust until I picked up my call and I had two start yipping and howling I was halfway back to the truck. I stopped and put the call down and hoped for the best, batteries were dying when I picked it up and backed up to try and have the wind in a crosswind and some sort of a clear shot. Played death cries a bit and cut the call off, and sure enough had a pair show up but they always had cover between us, I finally got a shot and missed
2022?

chase870

Possum Sox
4 Jan 22
2 hunters
AR 15 and 22-250 both with thermal
Morgan county pastures with cows, horses, chicken houses, and goats
Bark and cold light wind
Ichotech call, male and female howls kitten cries blind goat cotton tail and feral cat
0 heard
2 seen
1 killed

First set was perfect right out of the book next three sets of the night yielded nothing

Attachments

• IMG_3863.JPG
    IMG_3863.JPG
    109.7 KB · Views: 54

chase870

Possum Sox
5 Jan 22
1 hunter
AR 15 with thermal
Ichotech call howls, feral cat, and kitten cries
Barrow county pastures with cows
Dark cold light breeze
3 or 4 heard
2 seen
0 killed

Pulled up to a fence line in my golf cart got out looked behind me and saw a yote just laying on the hill set the tripod up cut the video on its still there but easing towards the wood line lip squeek it and shot it good hit and it does a 360 and runs off
2nd set call get response wait nothing call again get a yote on the way kitten cries and hes in range. I miss the first shot he runs up hill to me and stops at say 60 yards facing me second shot center mass flops and stops moving. I scan the area and sure enough he gets up runs by I can tell hes hit and makes it to the creek bottom. Got both on film solid hits just no bodies to show so I count them as misses. Pretty sure neither will survive the lick they took
https://rumble.com/embed/vpmjpp/?pub=wilnh

Last edited:

sleepr71

They are TOUGH animals. I’ve put killing shots into them & had them make it 300-400 yds until they got into a thicket & it got so thick I was afraid to go any further because I couldn’t see it,until it was too late & I might get bitten! They have a will to survive that no Deer or Human can compare to ?

chase870

Possum Sox
4 Jan 22
2 hunters
AR 15 and 22-250 both with thermal
Morgan county pastures with cows, horses, chicken houses, and goats
Bark and cold light wind
Ichotech call, male and female howls kitten cries blind goat cotton tail and feral cat
0 heard
2 seen
1 killed

First set was perfect right out of the book next three sets of the night yielded nothing
https://rumble.com/embed/vpmjpp/?pub=wilnh

Buckhead

1/5/22
One hunter
Heard County
Hardwoods
Foxpro - Female howls / adult cottontail distress
.22 mag with lights

Used suppressed rimfire due to proximity to neighbors. Several were serenading close by, so grabbed my Foxpro and climbed into ladder stand. Called in a double really close, but couldn’t get a shot off. Frustrating

Turkeytider

Anybody yote hunting in the Chatham County area? Interested in making some contacts and possibly partnering for some hunts. Have all my own equipment for use and am an older responsible hunter. Please send personal message or just reply to this post. Thanks all.

chase870

Possum Sox
11 January 22
2 hunters
AR 10 with thermal /220 Swift with thermal
Barrow County pastures
Cold light to no wind frost some light
Ichotech Call male and female howls death cries
0 seen
0 heard
0 killed

chase870

Possum Sox
11 January 22
1 Hunter
220 Swift with thermal
Barrow County pasture with horses/ pasture with cows and donkeys
Cold half moon frost on the ground
Icho Tech call Male and Female howls
3 plus heard
0 seen
0 killed

First set produced nothing to speak of maybe a distant howl maybe hard to tell lots of dogs in a nearby subdivision. Second set was a bit more productive Stopped at a favorite place that usually produces yotes. Hit a male howl and I had three different groups answer all across the highway. I have had them there before and its impossible to pull them across that road or at least it has been

chase870

Possum Sox
12 January 22
1 Hunter
220 Swift with thermal
Barrow County pasture with cows
light wind cold and half moon
Ichotec call Male and female howls death cries
0 heard
0 seen
0 killed

Stopped in a place I kill a yote at every once and awhile set up with a cross wind and called a bit no luck not even a howl when the train came through town it usually gets a howl or two

chase870

Possum Sox
14 January 2022
1 Hunter
220 Swift with thermal
Barrow County overgrown pasture and powerline
cold light to no wind no frost bright moon
Ichotech call Male and Female howls yepping pair death cries and pup distress
multiple yotes heard
5 to 7 seen
2 killed
First set had me overrun with yotes. Could not get the usual suspects to hunt so I went to a place that I have seen yotes on in the past. Took my time and eased into position and set up. As soon as the male invite howl stopped they were talking to me after a female howl and a yipping pair call I gave them some death cries and they were on the way. To be honest I had yote fever on this one and should have shot a bit better
https://rumble.com/embed/vq14qk/?pub=wilnh

Attachments

• IMG_3909.JPG
    IMG_3909.JPG
    99.1 KB · Views: 49

Doug B.

14 January 2022
1 Hunter
220 Swift with thermal
multiple yotes heard
5 to 7 seen
2 killed
First set had me overrun with yotes. Could not get the usual suspects to hunt so I went to a place that I have seen yotes on in the past. Took my time and eased into position and set up. As soon as the male invite howl stopped they were talking to me after a female howl and a yipping pair call I gave them some death cries and they were on the way. To be honest I had yote fever on this one and should have shot a bit better
Nice! Good job!!!

furtaker

14 January 2022
1 Hunter
220 Swift with thermal
multiple yotes heard
5 to 7 seen
2 killed
Nice kills. What kind of 220 Swift do you have?

chase870

Possum Sox
Nice kills. What kind of 220 Swift do you have?
I have several I put the thermal on my VS heavy barrel to start with and that made a heavy gun even heaver. I ended up buying a 700 classic to lighten what I was shooting then found a regular 700 synthetic and bought it. So I am now shooting the regular 700. The 700 and the 700 classic have some issues and need to see a professional gunsmith floor plate opens on its own every once and awhile and the bolt is hard to close on certain ammunition most especially reloaded ammo.

chase870

Possum Sox
16 January 2022
2 Hunters
SCAR 17 with thermal 220 Swift with thermal
Barrow County pastures with cows
cold, wet snow, windy with strong gusts, and very bright
ICHOTECH call invite howl male/female howls, feral cat and kitten cries
0 Heard
3 Seen
2 Killed

Couldn't wait to try thermal in the snow, another learning curve for sure. Seems the snow and ice keep all the terrain features the same temp so the picture you see is not as clear as one without snow. That said if an animal shows up, he is sure enough visible. Had I not wanted to hunt in the snow I probably would not have hunted in this wind it was pretty strong, another learning curve. First set produced nothing; wind was brutal. Second set I got next to a tree line that helped with the wind a bunch, so it put my setting up in a cross wind, but it wasn't too bad the trees helped a bunch. Not long after I hit a simple invite, I had a pair just show up bang flop. I just could not believe I called a pair up in the Gail force wind. Third set was on top of a hill with a very deep draw off to the side. Set up with the wind in my face and the draw to my left. Female Invite followed by a male howl nothing. I put feral cat on its a loud call, and I was goanna need it with the wind. It was not long, and I had a female come up out of the draw my friend shot her. Fourth set produced nothing.

Attachments

• View recent photos (4).jpg
    View recent photos (4).jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_3932.JPG
    IMG_3932.JPG
    172 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_3929.JPG
    IMG_3929.JPG
    149.9 KB · Views: 49