2023 Coyote Hunt Thread

Yotedawg

Nice color phase Charlie!! They amaze me how they know every terrace and low spot and use it to their advantage. I never get tired of working a dawg and watching him do his thing.

chase870

Possum Sox
Nice color phase Charlie!! They amaze me how they know every terrace and low spot and use it to their advantage. I never get tired of working a dawg and watching him do his thing.
He was working the terrace when he came in to the timber just saw a glimpse of his back as he eased by

Keith Karr

19 December 2023
1 Hunter
220 Swift with thermal
WNW wind 2 to 3 MPH
Barrow county over grown pasture
MFK Roo invitation howl Dying Jack and Eastern Cotton Tail Distress
0 Heard
0 Seen
1 Killed

The wind was blowing from the front to the back of this property so I eased in all the way to the back and set up wind in my face some woods behind me and an open area to my left next to the river. Nothing responded to the howls or Jack Rabbit, but I had this dog try to get down wind of the call, after I played some Eastern Cottontail in distress. I saw him come down the edge of the river bank and get in the timber behind me trying to get down wind of the call Pretty neat to watch him he never really broke cover and even used the terrain features to his advantage. Stopped him with the Kiss of Death lip squeak and let him hold a 50 grain V-Max at 4000 fps https://rumble.com/account/content?type=all
Beautiful yote Charlie !

Yotedawg

12/21/23
3 hunters
243 and 6creed w/thermals
N. Grady county fields and pastures
45° calm
Mfk, Foxpro, Tebbe vocals
2 heard
3 seen
1 killed

The Predator Outlaws hit some new dirt last night in a field behind a kennel. It was noisy but the X24 playing some Mfk Bump n’ Grind was too much for this color phase female to handle. She came to check it out and we hammered her hard. Later went to another property. Had a pair open up 200 yards away but across the road. We moved closer to the road and played a series of aggressive howls and had a pair cross the road and were in our laps. They made us in the moonlight and then made us look like rookies with a busted set. I lost sleep over it last night. Finally went across that same road to a hayfield back in the woods and got on some hogs. We are under orders from the landowner to shoot them on sight so we opened up on them and put some big boys down next to the woods. This shoat ran to us and died tired. We always have people asking us to kill them a hog and they will come get it. We loaded this shoat up and gave them a call but they had excuses. Go figure.‍

Attachments

• IMG_0026.jpeg
    IMG_0026.jpeg
    266.9 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_0027.jpeg
    IMG_0027.jpeg
    297.2 KB · Views: 11

chase870

Possum Sox
24 Dec 23
1 Hunter
220 Swift Leupold VX III
Hardwood ridge
light wind and light frost on the ground
Fox pro cotton tail distress cardinal and wood pecker distress
0 heard
0 Seen
0 killed

Been doing some day time hunting lately and its been slow. I usually kill a yote or 2 durring the day when I hunt them each year. Not sure why I have not even seen one yet, but I'll stay after it till I get one

Yotedawg

12/28/23
3 hunters
243 and 6 creeds w/thermal
North Grady pastures and fields
48° with gale force winds
Mfk, Foxpro distress and vocals
1 heard
1 seen
1 killed

The Predator Outlaws got out for a couple of sets before the wind got up. Right out of the gate less than two minutes in we had this big male come into Nutty Nuthatch and we gave him a ride in the truck. Later had a big boar in some thick brush but a little MFK Pig Slop brought him out into the clear and we triple tagged him for the win.

Attachments

• IMG_0049.jpeg
    IMG_0049.jpeg
    230.8 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_0048.jpeg
    IMG_0048.jpeg
    379.7 KB · Views: 8

chase870

Possum Sox
12/28/23
3 hunters
243 and 6 creeds w/thermal
North Grady pastures and fields
48° with gale force winds
Mfk, Foxpro distress and vocals
1 heard
1 seen
1 killed

The Predator Outlaws got out for a couple of sets before the wind got up. Right out of the gate less than two minutes in we had this big male come into Nutty Nuthatch and we gave him a ride in the truck. Later had a big boar in some thick brush but a little MFK Pig Slop brought him out into the clear and we triple tagged him for the win.

Nice

chase870

Possum Sox
28 Dec 23
1 Hunter
AR 15 with thermal
My back yard Barrow County
Cold and windy
Foxpro invite howls cotton tail and kitten distress
2 heard
0 seen
0 killed

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
The dark color phase looks a lot like a Bartrem’s wolf. Y’all think some interbreeding going on?

chase870

Possum Sox
30 December 2023
1 Hunter
220 Swift with thermal
Barrow County pasture cows and donkey
west wind cloudy
foxpro sister pair howls, eastern cotton tail, kittens in distress
0 heard
1 seen
1 killed

Eased into a place I hunt near the house, 3 different pieces of property that touch each other one has clean pastures and some woods one has some row crops and green houses, and the other is overgrown brush piles and briers etc. Seems LaTrans has been eating one of the ladys cats from time to time, and she wants him gone, they had a picture of a big black yote on a trail cam. Looks like the black yote is still out there but his Buddie bit the dust

Attachments

• IMG_0825.jpg
    IMG_0825.jpg
    123 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_0823.JPG
    IMG_0823.JPG
    257.6 KB · Views: 8

chase870

Possum Sox
29 December 2023
1 Hunter
220 Swift with thermal
Barrow County pasture cows and donkey
west wind cloudy
foxpro sister pair howls, eastern cotton tail, kittens in distress
0 heard
1 seen
1 killed

Eased into a place I hunt near the house, 3 different pieces of property that touch each other one has clean pastures and some woods one has some row crops and green houses, and the other is overgrown brush piles and briers etc. Seems LaTrans has been eating one of the ladys cats from time to time, and she wants him gone, they had a picture of a big black yote on a trail cam. Looks like the black yote is still out there but his Buddie bit the dust
I did not really notice his color in the dark, once I got to looking at him in the light I noticed he had a pink nose and a more blond of reddish color. I have never seen a yote with a pink nose

Attachments

• IMG_0831.PNG
    IMG_0831.PNG
    1.2 MB · Views: 12
  • IMG_0830.PNG
    IMG_0830.PNG
    1.2 MB · Views: 12
Last edited:

chase870

Possum Sox
30 Dec 23
1 Hunter
12 ga 870 with #4 buck
Oglethorpe County Timber tract logging road
Cool light wind dusk
foxpro sister howls cotton tail distress and pup distress
2 groups heard
0 seen
0 killed

Worked on the farm a little bit yesterday afternoon and decide to hunt a set right at dark. Heard 2 groups howling while it was light and I was walking in. Seen a fair number of tracks on the road and some scat but no takers.

Yotedawg

I did not really notice his color in the dark, once I got to looking at him in the light I noticed he had a pink nose and a more blond of reddish color. I have never seen a yote with a pink nose
I have never seen that before! You got you a nice blondie there. An oddity for sure Charlie.

Keith Karr

31 Dec 2023
1 hunter
6cm with thermal
Carroll county pastures
Temps upper 40’s SW wind
Foxpro X24 prey distress, MFK howls , pup distress
2 packs heard
2 seen
1 shot

Had a pack open up on the first stand that were just over the hill probably no more than 300-400 yards. It sounded like at least 3 or 4 because you could tell they were not all bunched up together.

I thought this is going to happen quick but they never came…..maybe all the fireworks people started shooting right after dark had them spooked.

I almost didn’t stop at the second farm because there’s subdivisions all around it and they were blasting away too. But as soon as I howled a pack opened up across the road but they were a good ways off.

I was going to call it a night after about 20 minutes when I saw two running straight for me…..by the time I found the mute button and got on the gun they were running away.

I’ve only ever hit one running but I had a good angle and shot the rear one. He made it across the creek and went down in a thin patch of timber in the pasture. I could see him laying there kicking and thought he was done for. I was wrong.

Had a lot of blood on the ground but he went between to very big old log piles and I lost the blood. I’m sure he’s in there somewhere but I couldn’t find him. Even though I didn’t have a great shot I suppose I should have shot him again when he was on the ground doing all the kicking. Lesson learned.

Ended up with 31 confirmed this year. I’ve shot several that ran off and missed several…..probably should have got 50 this year.

Sorry for the long post but it’s the last of the year.

Happy New Year everyone !

I’m sure Charlie will start a 2024 thread.