22 WMR handguns for self defense

lampern

Not the most ideal caliber but any 22 mag handguns/sidearms one would recommend for personal defense?

frankwright

I have had a dual cylinder Ruger Single Six for many years, bought it at Richway!
The 22 mag is nothing to sneeze at, while not my first choice for a defensive weapon, no one wants to be shot with one.
Ruger LCR would be a good choice.
I like to carry this little heritage .22 mag when I am walking around farm ponds while fishing or just strolling in the woods. It has both cylinders.

Attachments

• Heritage Barkeep W Target.jpg
    Heritage Barkeep W Target.jpg
    263.3 KB · Views: 13

Big7

The Oracle
Only 22 WMR I own is a Rough Rider with a 6 inch barrel and 2 cylinders. It's a pack gun used to gather food and used for protection.

I wouldn't want to be shot in the face with a WMR or LR.

If I was going to carry a 22 WMR for self defence, it would DEFINITELY be the Ruger LCR.
I wouldn't even consider anything else.

You can't go wrong with a Ruger. :wink:

Big7

The Oracle
Second on the PMR30 (y)
KelTec makes some good stuff that don't break the bank but IMO for the PMR 30's footprint, you could be carrying any number of larger calibers better suited for everyday carry.

A Ruger 57 in 5.7X28 NATO for instance if you are looking for super light recoil in a cartridge that packs some serious punch.

pjciii

There was a link to the B21 yesterday and it was on the 5 best .22. They said that a hit with a .22 is better than a miss with a .45. I think all of them had threaded barrel to accept accessories. Said the Seals carried them to take out North Vietnamese. 4 were semi auto and one was a revolver.

Cool Hand Luke

KelTec makes some good stuff that don't break the bank but IMO for the PMR 30's footprint, you could be carrying any number of larger calibers better suited for everyday carry.

A Ruger 57 in 5.7X28 NATO for instance if you are looking for super light recoil in a cartridge that packs some serious punch.
But none of them have a 30 round capacity.
Speaking of 57, seen the P50?

Big7

The Oracle
But none of them have a 30 round capacity.
Speaking of 57, seen the P50?
I've only seen the P 50 in print. Never have seen one first hand. I have shot the FN Five-seveN and it's an awesome but expensive pistol.

I'm thinking real hard on purchasing a Ruger 57.
Nothing against the Five-seveN, but I love Rugers and the 57 is significantly lower cost.

ryanh487

There was a link to the B21 yesterday and it was on the 5 best .22. They said that a hit with a .22 is better than a miss with a .45. I think all of them had threaded barrel to accept accessories. Said the Seals carried them to take out North Vietnamese. 4 were semi auto and one was a revolver.
Mossad has assassinated many, many terrorists with the beretta model 70 in .22 LR.

Still wouldn't be my first choice for dealing with an aggressive meth head in a dark parking lot. But better than a sharp stick.

Big7

The Oracle
Mossad has assassinated many, many terrorists with the beretta model 70 in .22 LR.

Still wouldn't be my first choice for dealing with an aggressive meth head in a dark parking lot. But better than a sharp stick.
You can't go where Mossad won't find you.
If you get on their list, your days are numbered.
They operate in almost every country.

Wish we had a hit team that were as prolific and covert as Mossad. They wack em' by the dozens.

ryanh487

You can't go where Mossad won't find you.
If you get on their list, your days are numbered.
They operate in almost every country.

Wish we had a hit team that were as prolific and covert as Mossad. They wack em' by the dozens.
They like the 70 in urban situations. Knock on a door, close range mag dump into the target, walk away without much attention because the .22 is so quiet.

ryanh487

I think I'd feel more confident with a 22 WMR than a 380. Or possibly even a 38.
I used to do bowling pin shoots with my LCP. Ranked right up there with the guys using full sized pistols and even the .22 category. And that little .380 is tiny in my hands. No excuse to not be proficient with a weapon you carry.

Seminole Wind

To me, personal defence means a gun that is quickly accessible 24/7, and is powerful enough to stop aggressive action with well placed shots. Many guns mentioned meet this criteria, but only if you are dedicated enough to carry it every moment you have clothes on. That gun for me has been a NAA Blackwidow 22 Mag for about 10 years now. It lives in whatever pants I have on, and has killed everything from mice to deer when called on. I carry bigger guns often while in town or deer camp, but the 22 Mag is always there.