22 WMR handguns for self defense

Jester896

Senior Clown
Big7 hasn't been by since Nov 20...we either made him mad or he is watching over us now.

Kel-Tec doesn't make anything appealing to me but it sure helps when your PMR-30 is finished in Kryptek Typhoon

Dub

Yeah, but who is making the call in our country these days....

I'm thinking that more and more, those making the calls in our country are actually the globalists who want to disarm American citizens and get us further under their control.

They have our youth twisted up and believing in the globalist environmental edicts and are influencing their vote and actions. The irony is the brand of Green they are pushing is not planet-friendly....just convenient for the globalists power & profit.

Same goons want to incite the race baiters to keep racism topics at full throttle, creating false claims and ensure citizens remain divided and focused on anything but what is going on behind the scenes.

Dub

Big7 hasn't been by since Nov 20...we either made him mad or he is watching over us now.

Kel-Tec doesn't make anything appealing to me but it sure helps when your PMR-30 is finished in Kryptek Typhoon

Maybe he's out on the circuit......shooting comp.

Just kidding.

@ddgarcia updated this thread not long ago, sez Big7 is doing alright.....just chillin is all.

weagle

For a carry gun the 22 mag doesn't make sense for me. The 30 round semi autos are a ton of firepower, but too big / bulky for me to carry every day. The small revolvers I've tried were J frame size and had long, heavy trigger pulls.

For a every day carry revolver, I prefer the old 6 shot I frame S&W revolvers in .32 S&W and hard cast buffalo bore wadcutters. Almost the same recoil as a 22 mag and 10X better trigger. A 38 special J frame is not an upgrade and carries 1 less round.

IMG_3956.jpeg
For a semi auto I carry a Ruger LCP in .380

For a Camp gun, nightstand gun, or survival gun the .22 mag makes a lot if sense. Just not as an every day carry.

sleepr71

Weagler,my Mom has one of those..and LOVES that little gun. She can still shoot it well..and recoil is next to nothing. I offered to buy her a newer .38 sp. LCR,with laser grips on it & she would rather have the old one. I just hate how hard it is to find Ammo for 32 S&W.!

weagle

Weagler,my Mom has one of those..and LOVES that little gun. She can still shoot it well..and recoil is next to nothing. I offered to buy her a newer .38 sp. LCR,with laser grips on it & she would rather have the old one. I just hate how hard it is to find Ammo for 32 S&W.!
I haven't had any trouble buying ammo either at Academy, gun shows or on-line and not crazy expensive. The Buffalo bore hard cast is the best carry ammo, has very little recoil and pressure wise designed to run in these old revolvers. The BB is expensive, but 1 box is all I ever need as it's not plinking ammo.

Old S&W had ejector models like the one I have are pretty inexpensive on the used market unless they are in collector grade condition with box etc. A lot of the old factory nickeled models look rough, but are 100% functional.

Jester896

Senior Clown
I just had my buddy get a nickle one that went through a fire up and running for my neighbor. Pearl grips still looked good. Took me 20 minutes to clean out all the PB Blaster the guy had sprayed in it.

GunnSmokeer

For a carry gun the 22 mag doesn't make sense for me. The 30 round semi autos are a ton of firepower, but too big / bulky for me to carry every day. The small revolvers I've tried were J frame size and had long, heavy trigger pulls.

For a every day carry revolver, I prefer the old 6 shot I frame S&W revolvers in .32 S&W and hard cast buffalo bore wadcutters. Almost the same recoil as a 22 mag and 10X better trigger. A 38 special J frame is not an upgrade and carries 1 less round.

View attachment 1293397
For a semi auto I carry a Ruger LCP in .380

For a Camp gun, nightstand gun, or survival gun the .22 mag makes a lot if sense. Just not as an every day carry.
Yeah, and a 60-100 year old S&W is probably going to have a butter-smooth and reasonable-weight DA trigger pull. Not like a modern gun that has its design paramaters dictated by a products-liability committe made up of lawyers and insurance adjusters.

I've handled I-frame .32 caliber Smiths at gun stores and gun shows, and they seem like a good choice. And, in the old days, they were more common in useful barrel lengths like 3" or 4". Adds to pointability, recoil control, and a bit of a boost to velocity, and better accuracy.

GunnSmokeer

Although this thread's about handguns,
I'll add that a light weight semi-auto .22WMR carbine,
with a 16 inch barrel and hollow plastic stock, 10 round mag,
could be a good home defense gun for somebody who is recoil-shy.
Easy to point, fast-firing, accurate if you aim and can hit easily at across-the-room distances just by pointing it like a shotgunner would at a flying bird or clay target.
And the longer barrel of that carbine compared to a typical defensive carry handgun will boost the velocity by something like 50%

(1200 fps from a 3" barrel vs. 1800 fps from an 18" barrel)

weagle

Although this thread's about handguns,
I'll add that a light weight semi-auto .22WMR carbine,
with a 16 inch barrel and hollow plastic stock, 10 round mag,
could be a good home defense gun for somebody who is recoil-shy.
Easy to point, fast-firing, accurate if you aim and can hit easily at across-the-room distances just by pointing it like a shotgunner would at a flying bird or clay target.
And the longer barrel of that carbine compared to a typical defensive carry handgun will boost the velocity by something like 50%

(1200 fps from a 3" barrel vs. 1800 fps from an 18" barrel)
I have a Rossi RS22M set up like that. I cut the barrel down to 16 1/4" and it makes a great camp / pack / home defense gun.

JR924

Not sure if stated prior as 92 posts is too much to read. Saw this article the other day. Said the 22 WMR was originally designed to be a self defense round. Always thought the reason for making it was for a more powerful rimfire then the 22 long rifle for small game and varmits.