22 WMR handguns for self defense

Balrog

My main concern with rimfire for self defense is that they are more likely to not fire than a centerfire cartridge.

My favorite under powered self defense pistol is my Ruger LCP Max.

I would prefer 10 rounds of 380 than 6 or 7 rounds of 22 mag, plus the LCP max is easier to conceal than a J frame.

Dub

I don't carry a rimfire for personal protection.

If I did, however, it would be in a revolver.
In the case of a misfire, the cylinder will rotate to the next round.

Also no concerns over feed & ejection with the wheelies vs the bottom feeders.

For self defense I like 9mm, .38spcl, .38 Super, etc....preferably the good old .45acp flying ashtray.

Big7

The Oracle
My main concern with rimfire for self defense is that they are more likely to not fire than a centerfire cartridge.

My favorite under powered self defense pistol is my Ruger LCP Max.

I would prefer 10 rounds of 380 than 6 or 7 rounds of 22 mag, plus the LCP max is easier to conceal than a J frame.
I have the 10rh Anniversary LCP and it goes where I go, even if I'm carrying something else too.

I think people underestimate the 380 ACP or 9MM Kurz or Corto, if you prefer.

Don't know about y'all but I drill at 7 yards, 2 in the face and 2 high center mass. I'm very confident in that cartridge for it's intended purpose.

Dub

was it a hand issue @lampern? an S&W EZ might work for you

My sister swears by her S&W EZ.

Racks with very little effort. Very easy gun to handle.

She's developed some good shooting & handling skills with it, too. Not having to fight the gun to manipulate and handle is a major factor.

I almost pity the fool that tries to mess with her or her kids. Momma bear and her cubs. She'll have no problem dosing the assailant up with lead.

You won't find me throwing out many kind words about modern S&W since the lawyers took over (stupid internal locks, legal script stamped on their semi-autos, etc).....but, I have to give them their accolades due on the EZ models.

They are purpose designed for weaker hands and arthritic hands. I have to respect that. (y)

I have only heard of one person who struggled with them....and he simply seemed to be hardcore untrainable. You probably remember who I'm referring to. :rofl: :rofl:

Jester896

Senior Clown
help me understand...you already have 22WMR... so you insist using it even if it could be harder to manage with arthritic hands?

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
have they looked at one? Those big fat 9s may be easier to maneuver than those little bitty other cases....with limited dexterity.
That little tiny 22 mag revolver I had was durn near impossible to shoot and hang on to during the shot without arthritis. And you might hit a sheet of plywood at 15 feet with it.

lampern

help me understand...you already have 22WMR... so you insist using it even if it could be harder to manage with arthritic hands?

I have 22 WMR ammo I can give to use (hollowpoints)

Not much recoil to a 22 WMR

Is it really more recoiling than 9mm luger in a handgun?

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
I have the Keltec PMR and love it.
It is not a good choice for concealed carry due to the size. I wear it with one of the Kydex clip on holsters. Good choice for a car door gun

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I have 22 WMR ammo I can give to use (hollowpoints)

Not much recoil to a 22 WMR

Is it really more recoiling than 9mm luger in a handgun?
In one of those tiny toy revolvers, yes. In a semi, no. But, not a lot of difference. I would go with the nine all day every day and twice on Sunday.

Reactions: Dub