Do you own a compass?

Do you own a compass?

• Yes, I own a compass.

Votes: 210 86.4%
  • No, I do not own a compass.

Votes: 33 13.6%

• Total voters

cotton top

Can't depend on a GPS in really cloudy weather. They are good on a clear or not too clear day or night. I had my GPS fail for this reason a couple of times this year.
I always keep a compas in my pocket or pack. Good insurance, JMO BSM

Backcountry

does the one of my iphone count? if so it's with me everytime i go in the woods. and yes i have used it b/f. those pine thickets in the dark are tricky

dturnersr

Yes, since 1968 cira Boyscout issue Silva, then another in 1978 thanks to U.S. Army 1/29th Rangers:bounce:

Ohoopee Tusker

I take one while in remote locations, but for the most part I just use the hands on my watch.

Gentleman4561

I have one for backup to the gps...even learned how to use it in scouts

FishinMech

Always have one in my bag when i go out just in case i do get lost.

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
Yes I have two! One was getting stuck so I immediately went and got another one. Thing is, they ain't no good if ya dont know which direction you should go.........Got to have a map:biggrin3:

JNW

In an emergency, I'll use my watch. It's possible to determine your orientation using an analog watch (i.e., one with hands) in place of a compass. The direction will be correct if the watch is set for true local time, without adjustments for daylight savings time.

This picture I found can help me explain it better.

In the northern hemisphere, hold the watch horizontal and point the hour hand in the direction of the sun. Bisect the angle between the hour hand and the twelve o'clock mark to get the north-south line. North will be the direction further from the sun.

Just thought I'd share this information with others.:cheers: Hope it's not too off topic.

Attachments

• wcompass-n.gif
    wcompass-n.gif
    10.6 KB · Views: 384

DYI hunting

Army Land Nav course taught me how valuable a compass was. I have one in my hunting gear, bug-out bag, and web gear.

GeorgiaGlockMan

Several.

A good one that I rotate around and several cheap-os (with little thermometers) strapped to every hunting pack that I own.

dawg2

AWOL ADMINISTRATOR

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
Yes and yes. Batteries wear out, antennas break, circuit boards fry. Magnets are mostly forever.

ambush80

Silva orienteering compass in my day pack and a small one on the whistle around my neck.

Quickbeam

I've had three quality compasses rendered useless because the magnet got demagnatized. Sent them back to Silva and were replaced free of charge. but even compasses can quit working.

bull59

If you are really lost a compass isn't much good without a map. You could take off in the right direction and still miss the trail, road, creek ridge or what ever and still be just as lost but going in the "right" direction.

meateater

Own a few

Never go in the woods without one.
Learned how to nav on land, on the water and under the water before handheld GPS became popular. Navigating under water at night, now thats the fun one!