Public land theft?

Wayne D Davis

Guess it depends on the area your using and how the folks are in the area. I'm sure some places are worst than others. Kinda like down town. There's areas you don't want to be after dark (or any other time)

Mr Bya Lungshot

BANNED LUNATIC FRINGE
I shot four times at two bucks one year.
Had two guys in a truck sitting out on the main road and then they followed me for miles all the way to the check station.
They didn’t pull in with me to see the bucks though. They did a uturn once I pulled in.:banana:

LittleDrummerBoy

I would not be too quick to conclude the culprits are always hunters. We had a string of property crimes on our deer hunting area some time ago that turned out to be animal rights activists - anti hunters.

ssramage

I haven't had anything taken so far, but the only time I leave things on public land is for limited draw quota hunts. It goes in with me on Day 1 and out on the last day.

SwampMoss

I have had a summit climber stolen. My dad had someone shimmy his cables so that when he got into it, it would fail. Luckly, we always check the pins and cables before we climb. I guess someone thought he was hunting in their spot. I have heard that some low life would hang out around camp until everyone would leave for the morning hunt then, they would still things.

delacroix

BANNED
I hope all that post was a joke....
Nope. Y
I hope all that post was a joke....
Nope. The part about others getting to use your stand is factual. Cameras are too new to have an official response as far as I know. I do know some places ban them.

So, I'd class cameras as litter; the same as flagging tape and tacks. The idea of using them on public is pretty bizarre outside a tiny portion of the population.

WishboneW

2012 I was hunting Bankhead National Forest above Moulton Alabama. I hiked in about a mile and a half and found an area tore up with rubs and scrapes. I pulled a Moultrie out my pack and put it up along with a stainless cable and master padlock. Marked it on my gps and left. Came back two days later and the camera, cable and lock were all gone. Not a mark on the tree. It was almost like they had a key. What got me even more was the scrape had been freshened and a tree rubbed and snapped in to.

If you are a low life in the market for some free equipment that would be a great way to bait

Whit90

Like you respected their want for spending time in the woods without cameras cluttering up the trees and spying on them? What if they take it as like a stand in that any stand left is frwe to use by anyone? How do you feel about them using the camera?

So if you see someones climber on public land at the base of a tree, you gonna hop in, climb up, and hunt out of it?

alwayslookin

I know what you're getting at delacroix but regardless of what the regulations say at the WMA or NWR, I go by the simple rule of if it isn't mine I leave it alone. I've come across many a stand and camera and never thought to take it.

Not had anything stolen yet off public but I don't leave it for long periods and use my climber in and out most of the time. Don't use flagging tape either, at least where others will see it...don't want to draw attention to where I'm hunting.

Wayne D Davis

Nope. Y
Nope. The part about others getting to use your stand is factual. Cameras are too new to have an official response as far as I know. I do know some places ban them.

So, I'd class cameras as litter; the same as flagging tape and tacks. The idea of using them on public is pretty bizarre outside a tiny portion of the population.
You are one of very few that believe that theory

Dutch

AMERICAN WARRIOR
Never.

But then I do not leave any equipment in the woods on public land. I do not trust people that much.

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
There’s a 2 person buddy stand at Pine log I sit in if I go by it......I’ve put my son i it too. Never stole anything nor had anything stolen, but I don’t leave much......a cheap camera or two, my 500 pound climber for a short time, but it’s got a cable and a tiny mast lock on it.
If I see a stand that’s not locked, I may get up off the ground for bit. But without a harness, my feet won’t be more than maybe 6’ off the ground.

furtaker

I don't hunt public land but if I did and left anything in the woods I wouldn't expect it to be there when I returned.

Bullochcountyhunter

First off I hate a thief. I've been tempted to buy some of the elcheapo tascos and put on a couple local wmas. I know where several stands that have been left on Tuckahoe, but I'm hesitant to sit in them. Been there for at least 5 years, not sure anyone hunts them. I would never take anything someone left on public land, except for the dag gum flagging tape.

bigewalksalone

Oh I thought somebody left those climbers and didn't want them.. lol
I've hunted them for years,never had a problem. But I bring them out with me..

Whit90

No but I do know where a ladder stand is on National Forest that I will sit in on occasion. It's been there at least 3 years.

Good for you I guess. I wouldn’t do it. Then again, I wouldn’t put a ladder stand on public land... although if I did and just left it there forever, might as well put a sign on it that says “use if I’m not here”.

Latest posts