A graphic on the reliability of the New Testament....

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
It is reliable as to what was once written was written again in a short amount of time. The copies of copies are very similar to the works before them despite the differences in translation and additions.
That is no big secret.
Where the mystery lies is in the contents of those writings. No matter how quickly you copy fiction and make many accurate copies of it later, it does not make the fiction true.

stringmusic

It is reliable as to what was once written was written again in a short amount of time. The copies of copies are very similar to the works before them despite the differences in translation and additions.
That is no big secret.
Where the mystery lies is in the contents of those writings. No matter how quickly you copy fiction and make many accurate copies of it later, it does not make the fiction true.

Oh how quickly the argument changes.

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
Oh how quickly the argument changes.

Textual reliability and historical reliability are two different things.
There is no argument.

What "reliability" are we talking about here when we say the reliability of the NT?

stringmusic

Textual reliability and historical reliability are two different things.
There is no argument.

What "reliability" are we talking about here when we say the reliability of the NT?

The reliability of what was originally written, something that gets argued in this forum all the time.

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
The reliability of what was originally written, something that gets argued in this forum all the time.

The reliability of historical/factual accuracy of what was originally written absolutely gets argued.

The reliability of the actual text itself is widely known. Even though there were additions and changes made, as a whole it is a high percentage of reliability as far as the text is concerned.

jmharris23

The reliability of historical/factual accuracy of what was originally written absolutely gets argued.

The reliability of the actual text itself is widely known. Even though there were additions and changes made, as a whole it is a high percentage of reliability as far as the text is concerned.

This I get. What I don't get is why the historical/factual accuracy of the other works in this list are not nearly as debated, if at all?

Four

This info-graph needs some labels, or explanation.

I get that they're measuring original vs. earliest existing copy... that's interesting, but doesn't seem to have to do anything with reliability.

Also, what's the second number next to it? It's not labeled or anything...

Also, there are no sources... all in all it's pretty shady.

Four

I'm guessing they mean the "earliest existing copies" :huh:

How did you know that? is there a website that went along with this picture? Without explanation / sources this picture is pretty meaningless for anything besides propaganda..

rjcruiser

Wow....you're the first person on here accept that as fact. Seems like most doubters try to push that fact all the time. In fact, it's how we got the Book of Mormon.;)

This info-graph needs some labels, or explanation.

I get that they're measuring original vs. earliest existing copy... that's interesting, but doesn't seem to have to do anything with reliability.

Also, what's the second number next to it? It's not labeled or anything...

Also, there are no sources... all in all it's pretty shady.

I have to agree with you Four. I had a tough time reading the picture as well. Not sure exactly what it is saying other than there being 40-70 years between the actual time it was written and the earliest manuscripts we've got.

Four

I have to agree with you Four. I had a tough time reading the picture as well. Not sure exactly what it is saying other than there being 40-70 years between the actual time it was written and the earliest manuscripts we've got.

Even the 40-70 year thing, is that 40-70 years between any of the original scripture were written down? or when the NT was actually compiled and put together in one tomb?

stringmusic

How did you know that? is there a website that went along with this picture? Without explanation / sources this picture is pretty meaningless for anything besides propaganda..

What number are you asking about exactly? Which one is not labeled?

Attachments

• nt_reliability1.jpg
    nt_reliability1.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 509

rjcruiser

Even the 40-70 year thing, is that 40-70 years between any of the original scripture were written down? or when the NT was actually compiled and put together in one tomb?

40-70 years after the original scripture. Scholars believe that Revelation was written in the early to mid 90s AD.

The earliest manuscripts that have been found date to the middle of the 2nd Century...around 150 AD.

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
This I get. What I don't get is why the historical/factual accuracy of the other works in this list are not nearly as debated, if at all?

Some are questioned to this day (Homer for example). They are literature with some being poems and stories with some history in them. All of the works are checked for historical accuracy and then accepted for what is or is not accurate.

The Bible is no different. Real places with real people intertwined with real events but it also includes people,places and events that have never been found to have existed.

None of those other books took 1400 years to assemble as a whole. The NT writings are a combination of anonymous authors that are mostly unknown in history. Their work was assembled to fit a book, not written together as a book.

JB0704

I Gots Goats
Da' gum. Heroduts is on that list. Didn't we just talk about this in another thread?