Wasp Attack!

Toliver

Sounds like you have a story to tell.

Would you believe of all the nests I've taken down to get the larvae for fishing, I've never been stung? I usually get nailed by wasps when I don't know they're even there and disturb them in some way.

Toliver

Ouch. I hate the face stings. Been hit there a few times; once close enough to the eye to make it nearly swell shut for a while.

crackerdave

Ouch. I hate the face stings. Been hit there a few times; once close enough to the eye to make it nearly swell shut for a while.
Yellow jackets are bad about going for the eyes!
Used to tear up some nests while plowing firebreaks for the Forestry Commission.Those varmints figured the best way to stop a Deere was to blind that monster that just tore up their happy home.If you stopped or slowed down,then they'd really nail you!

I discovered their venom would stop arthritis pain,though,when one stung me on a sore knee joint right through my firepants.

Last edited:

MOTS

Many years ago, putting out limb lines one evening on the Altamaha river and ran up under one in a willow. It was big as a cowboy hat with so many Indian wasp on it that they couldn't fit on it. I had killed the motor and drifted under it, they were all doing the wing fluttering thing! Luckily none attacked and I backed out with a paddle.

crackerdave

Many years ago, putting out limb lines one evening on the Altamaha river and ran up under one in a willow. It was big as a cowboy hat with so many Indian wasp on it that they couldn't fit on it. I had killed the motor and drifted under it, they were all doing the wing fluttering thing! Luckily none attacked and I backed out with a paddle.
Yeah,you were lucky they didn't nail you! Usually when they do the wing thing,they're fixin' to attack.

Me and my daddy hit a stump in High Falls Lake that had a big nest on it.We were after some brim bait,but I cut the motor a little too late and hit the stump kinda hard.Him being in the bow of the boat,he got the worst of the attack.He accused me of doing it on purpose.

Last edited:

Toliver

I didn't notice them this year, but years past the wasp nests on the marker posts in Lake Seminole were the size of supper plates. They would perk up and watch us go by but never attacked. Must've been anywhere from 60 to 100 on some of them nests. Biggest ones I've ever seen.

fishfryer

frying fish driveler
Crackerdave you ever see a bream come up and suck a wasp off the top of of the water and a second later the wasp comes back to the top? They either taste nasty or the fish knows the deal.

specialk

Im super careful anymore carrying cans of spray in my truck and on my cart..my wooden made box stands will have them all over come next august, worse place is under the swivel chair that we keep covered with a plastic trash bag over....

Redbow

The last time I was stung a yellow wasp with black stripes (not a yellow jacket) got me over my left eye and one on my left hand. They had built a nest underneath the tray on my water hose reel. My eye puffed up and I could hardly see out of it.

Fishing the Santee-Cooper lakes for many years while living in SC and also the Rivers and such I encountered many of the black swamp wasps in willow bushes. Often I did not even see the nest as I was concentrating on my fishing. One day I got so close to a big nest that I could have reached over and touched the critters. Every one of the wasps were raised up ready to attack there had to be a hundred or more of them but I backed up slowly and they let me get by with invading their territory. I felt very lucky not to get stung multiple times that day.

I have been stung many times after I knocked a wasp nest down for the larva, they are great bream bait.

DannyW

I have been stung many times after I knocked a wasp nest down for the larva, they are great bream bait.
They were my favorite bream bait as a young boy. And you never knew what you were going to get when you peeled the wax cap off a cell...a nice juicy larvae or a full grown ready to be hatched wasp!

One night (my favorite ambush time) I knocked down a good sized nest. I piled it with the rest of my fishing gear in the corner of my grandparents house, ready to grab and go the next morning.

When we woke up the next day we were surrounded by dozens of angry wasps. Apparently I picked a nest that was ready to be born.

Never will forget grandma chasing them things around the house with a broom. It's funny now but I was a mighty unpopular little feller that day!

1eyefishing

...just joking, seriously.
I thought they were bout froze out by now...