what is the smallest deer caliber

killa86

.223 or 22- 250 great rounds i assume your looking for something for a child possibly?if so no felt recoil at all in either both will do the job with well placed shots

I have a 1930s.22 hornet rolling block rifle but never deer hunted with it, I was curious where your Dad shoots em. I read a story 1 time about an Eskimo that killed walrus's with a hornet. I believe he always took head shots.

neck and high shouler gets em every time. its a ruger bolt action. But the first deer he shot with it was a doe hit her right behind the shoulder and she barely made it out of the food plot. we could barely see where it went in but the exit looked like a hole from a 30 cal. it busted her up bad.

timgarside

I hate to answer a question with a question but why are you considering a .22 cal. rifle for deer hunting. Is it for a child, a handicap restriction, or what? I have a buddy that takes hundreds of hogs annually in Texas with a .204, and a few that I witnessed didn’t go far at all. That being said, a well placed shot by any small caliber bullet can and will stop a variety of medium sized thin skinned animals dead in their tracks. Unless it is out of necessity, I would stick to larger caliber bullets. Nobody wants to wound an animal if it can be prevented, and if you are going to hunt with a .22 cal rifle it is only a matter of time before you are crippling game. jmo

Hornet22

ROMEO
Check out the screen name. Used a Hornet exclusively for 12/14 years. ONLY heads shots; ONLY if the deer is standing still; ONLY if within 30 yards or less; ONLY if a profile or quartering away shot; NO straight on deer facing me shots; and ONLY hollow point ammo. Learned the hard way about the straight on shot, had to get out of the stand and finish the job. CANNOT stand to see any animal suffer, so don't use that shot anymore. A well placed bullet in the knowlege center and they feel no pain.

22 hornady 45/46 grain hollow point
ft lbs of energy 723 417 225 127 90 70
distances (Y) muz 100 200 300 400 500
With good shot placement even a 22 hornady has plenty of energy until you get out to 300 plus yards. You do need the right type of bullet or it will just go right through the deer with little tissue damage.

thurmongene

thank you all. "timgarside," this question was for general knowledge. With my particular disabality, by the time I would need this caliber, I probably wouldnot be strong enough to shoulder a rifle anyway.

timgarside

It was an anteresting question that got some real good answers.

Hornet22

ROMEO
You are right timgarside. I have always been hesitant to post what I hunt with and where I choose my bullet placement for fear of getting slammed. Good thread.:cool: